It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
(male)

DRE1968 HB User
Just diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis!!!

I was just diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis a month ago and I am still wondering how this could of happened. I have analyzed everything that changed in my day to day routine looking for a culprit. My wife has also has similar symptoms which led me to believe it had to be something we both used or ate. I have narrowed it down to the toothpaste (Arm & Hammer Whitening Advance). I know it sounds strange but upon reading the label it said if ingested contact a doctor. This is the only thing that I could think of. I am 42 years old, healthy and in good shape. I have never been hospitalized which makes this harder for me. Just looking for answers.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis!!!

I don't think you'll find the "answer". It's certainly not food you ate or your toothpaste. UC is an autoimmune disease that starts at the rectum and continues upward in the colon. For many it can be inherited, but I think the tendency for autoimmune just needs the right trigger. Once UC is in place, its pattern is pretty much set. For some, symptoms can be dealt with quickly, for others they cannot. There's a variety of medications...again..for some they work, others not.

There is some research lately regarding the bacteriology of our digestive tracts.

Where exactly in the colon is your UC? limited or throughout?

What medications are you on?

Regarding your wife's symptoms, it would be wise for her to have a colonoscopy for a definitive diagnosis. There are some things that can mimic UC...

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-28-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

just bumping this up to see if it'll show there are replies on the thread list.
q

Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
(female)

lild4 HB User

I was diagnosed with UC a year ago. Sympotoms presented some time before I was able to get a diagnosis. When I finally did the dx it spread to my entire colon. several weeks in the hospital, medications, blood transfusion and left being unable to eat alot of my favourite foods. Why this happended I don't know. Still continuing with medications.
Wish you well with your battle and don't give up, Stay on top with your Dr.
Good Luck

Closed Thread