It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

Lindy77 HB User
Drugs- UC ppl.

I was wondering what drugs people take for their UC? I currently take Dipentum (250mg 8 pills daily) because it's the only one that my body will accept, so I'm curious as to what else is out there and works for other people. I can't really tolerate many mesalamine drugs; they tend to make the problem much worse (has anyone else had that problem?)

Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Drugs- UC ppl.

I use Asacol oral...6 pills a day (3 twice daily) as well as Salofalk retention enemas. Nightly when in a flare. Once things are back to normal, I use them another week and then go to every second night for about 3 weeks, then down to every third night.

I usually stay there or to twice a week...every sunday and Wednesday for example.

Have you not been on rectal meds?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Hi,
Thank you for responding. So thatís what you take during a flare? What do you take as maintenance medications to prevent flares? Iíve tried Asacol, but I had a bad reaction to it.

I have tried different rectal medications and my body just canít tolerate them; they put me in so much pain. As so other mesalamine drugs. Iím wondering if Iím allergic to them. Iím running out of options before being tried on immunosuppressantís. Frustrating.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yes, some people cannot tolerate mesalamines. Osalazine is still a salicylate, but not mesalamine. So that may be why you tolerate it.

There are also butyrate enemas that you could try...your doctor would have to prescribe them, but I don't know whether a pharmacy would have them or if you would have to order them from an online pharmacy or through a naturopath. Do the homework on it.

And of course, there are the steroid enemas you could try as well.

are you taking probiotics and fibre supplements? Many with UC find that helpful as well...Although, not a replacement for meds.

I use 6 asacol daily for maintenance and have upped it twice to 8 daily in 22 years. It's a constant.

The enemas, I use nightly for treatment during a flare and once things are normal, I start to taper them over a period of time. I stay at twice a week.

q

Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Hi!
I have tried a butyrate enema, it just seems all of them irritate me and cause me pain.

No, I have yet to start any probiotics. I was considering Align. I donít know much about them.

Sounds like you have to use a lot of medications to keep your UC under control. It must get frustrating at times.

Theyíre considering using immunosuppressants on me now, such as Remicade, since I seem to be unresponsive to most treatments. Little worried about this.

Just getting frustrated with not feeling well for over a month and no one really knowing what to do about it. Hopefully something will be found soon.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

It seems that has to be your next step up....the other, if it's uncontrolled is to consider surgery.

Yes, it's frustrating for you bigtime since you cannot tolerate many meds.

Other options could also be whip worm therapy and fecal enema therapy...

The probiotics I use are ReNew Life Ultra Flora Critical Care and Primadophilus Reuteri Capsules. I take one of each at bedtime about an hour after my meds.
q

Last edited by quincy; 06-03-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Thank you; I'll look into those.

Closed Thread