It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User
just diagnosed

hi all, ive just been diagnosed with colitis. i had biopsies done during a colonoscopy. the doc didnt say what type of colitis it is or where it is. course i was too shocked to ask anything. i have an app in july to see the gastro doc so ill be waiting till then to get some answers. so ive been doing some research. all types of colitis list diarrhea as the main symptom and weight loss. ive never had diarrhea and i certainly havent lost any weight. quite the opposite. (gave up the smokes in the new year and my buds are awake!)
so does any1 else have colitis with no diarrhea? my main symptoms are blood and mucous in the stool. i have stomach pain that comes and goes and spasms b4 and during a bm that comes and goes. anyway does any1 think they might be wrong?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
(female)

Re: just diagnosed

me again. my GP gave me the news that i have ulcerative colitis in the sigmoid colon and rectum. any advise on what to do now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yes...you need to be on medications. I would strongly hope your doctor puts you on mesalamine oral and rectal retention enemas.

q

Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
(female)

thank you ill mention it when i see him in july. been waiting 3 months on a diagnosis. all the while my symptoms have been getting worse. i still have to wait a month to see the gi doc. all communication has been through my gp and she says that it'll be up to the gi doc what meds ill be on. is there anything i can do diet wise. and do you know any pain meds that are safe to take. ive been doing alot of research since yeaterday and its all about how to diagnose it but not much on how to live with it! i have so many questions for this doc and ill guess ill have to be patient.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...did the doc say ulcerative colitis? I don't know if it's definitive for diagnosis via c-scope, but it is through more like a "consistent with" type thing as well as an elimination process.

What you could do at this point is call the GP and ask her to put you on the first-line medications such as the oral mesalamine and the retention enemas to help relieve you of some of your symptoms. I highly doubt the GI will be disappointed that you are on the medications.

I would truly hate for you to get to the point where you are worse with symptoms and with no medication and the GI says..ok, we'll put you on predisone. Run for the hills...of course, this is my opinion. Others may disagree.

Regarding food...it won't make your flare worse or better, but there are many who follow the Specific Carbohydrate diet for their UC...some say it helps, others say no help at all.

Now, there seems to be some connection with smoking and UC flares. I know of some who have taken up smoking because it does lessen symptoms. Those who refuse to go back to smoking have used nicotine patches to help.

I wouldn't resort to either, personally...just sharing.

How is your diet generally? I would suggest you stay away from artificial sweeteners or foods that seem to give you more discomfort..such as gas producing foods.

If your doctor won't give you any medications until you see the GI, you could possibly see if low dosage hydrocortisone suppositories are available for over the counter purchase. Since UC starts at the rectum, you might get some lessening of inflammation and hopefully some relief.

I feel your pain regarding flaring and the long wait to see the doctor. Hang tough...please do the research regarding medications, etc for UC.
That way you can make the appointment more effective for you to get the answers you need.

I would also suggest you get a copy of the colonoscopy biopsy report for your records and for your own research.

quincy

The following user gives a hug of support to quincy:
jujumcm (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
(female)

thanks Q you are a big help to alot of people on this site including me. my Gp did say ulcerative colitis but ill get a copy of the biopsies to see if it says consistant with....uc. They werent able to tell me anything after the c-scope apart from this. some evidence of proctitis that could be from preparation. it was a locum doc that did the c-scope not a GI doc so maybe he had a look afterwards. ~I dunno how it works just gotta keep asking questions. thanks again for taking time to reply

Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujumcm View Post
thanks Q you are a big help to alot of people on this site including me. my Gp did say ulcerative colitis but ill get a copy of the biopsies to see if it says consistant with....uc. They werent able to tell me anything after the c-scope apart from this. some evidence of proctitis that could be from preparation. it was a locum doc that did the c-scope not a GI doc so maybe he had a look afterwards. ~I dunno how it works just gotta keep asking questions. thanks again for taking time to reply
by the way i gave up smoking in new year. im still on a patch and have no yearn to go back on them. isnt it crazy though that smoking eases symptoms. good job my flare started after new yr or i never would of gave them up!!

Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...you're welcome. It's a process to seek definitive diagnosis. Yes, the purge can cause inflammation in the lower rectum, but you were having symptoms previous to that, so it's more of a "by the way..." rather than the reason for it.

REgarding smoking/patches...it seems that for some with UC, it's a help..but not for CD.

Lots of questions is a good thing...Keep us posted what's happening.

q

Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Hi,
Quincy gave you a lot of good advice.

As for food during a flare up, you generally want to stick to things that your body can easily digest. Soft, bland food. Stay away from too much fiber and wheat. Stay away from nuts and really spicy food, too.

I have UC with a lot of pain. I've been hospitalized 2 times due to this, but since you're suffering and have to wait a little to see your GI, it can never hurt to ask your GP for some pain medication to make you comfortable. Just make sure you take something, like Milk of Mag, so you don't get constipated.

Hope this was of some help and good luck to you. IBDs are no fun.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lindy77:
jujumcm (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
(female)

thanks linda,
i just got into cooking indian food in the past few months. i bought so many different spices and indian condiments, now ill have to forget about curries for a while till this flare subsides. its been 3 1/2 months but luckily ive no diarrhea. im not in much pain either but now and again itll get sore when im constipated. from what i read in these forums i have it easy enough. my biggest complaint is the blood and mucous with every bm. so scary not knowing what it was but now i know i can deal with it. trying to stay positive about it all and hoping it doesnt spread. so sorry you're having such a hard time.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Thanks

And if you continue to lose blood and mucous, have your GP or GI check your CBC and SED rate to make sure your body is replacing the blood you're losing.

I love spicy food as well; I know it sucks to give it up for a while... but you'll be able to eat it soon enough. Indian food is great! I just discovered I loved it not too long ago.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
(female)

hammer 403 HB User

I was diagnosed over 20 years ago with ulcerative proctitis that continued to become UC. I have during this time been on many protocols. I had the same symptoms. No diareha basically not many bm's at all...mostly blood and mucus. I got total remission by using Rowasa retention enemas. For some reason the generic didn't work for Rowasa. I continued to try different things and finally found something that worked for me. I tried VSL#3 probiotic and began with 2 packets per day with 1 T metagenics glutagenics. This didn't work so after reading more about VSL #3 I decided to give it one month of an increased dosage. I increased to 8 packets/8T glutagenics per day for one month. I went into total remission within 2 weeks. So for the next month I cut back to 4 packets/4T glutagenics per day. After that I went to their maintenance dosage of 2 packets per day and I continue with 2 T glutagenics. I feel perfectly normal. This is different from the remission with rowasa. With rowasa I still felt an internal pain/ache on my lower left back side. I'm so glad I gave this a try and i'm really mad my gastro didn't suggest this for me. I know VSL is expensive...it will cost about $500.00 to buy it for the first month. I have read that VSL can be issued in double strength prescription and that if your gasto will prescribe it it can be covered under insurance. I didn't opt for this because I private insure and didn't want to impact my insurance premiums. Hope this helps I know it is devastating and I'm only sorry I didn't try this before all the other things I was told would work but did not.

The Following User Says Thank You to hammer 403 For This Useful Post:
jujumcm (06-15-2011)
Closed Thread