It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
(female)

kbl001 HB User
Uc help!

My husband was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in November 2010. He is only 25 years old, and this disease is taking quite a toll on him. He has been on several different medications, and nothing has worked. He is in severe pain every time he eats and is constantly going to the bathroom. Does anyone know of a medication that has worked? His doctor just keeps trying something new every time we go to see him, and nothing is working. My husband is miserable and losing more and more weight everyday. Any help would greatly be apprecaited.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Uc help!

Hi..what medications exactly is your husband on?

Where exactly ishis UC located...throughout or limited?

q

Last edited by quincy; 06-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

kbl001 HB User

He is currently on Apriso ER .375 gram (4 per day) and Hyoscyamine (PRN). He was first put on Asacol which did not work for him. And now the apriso and hyoscyamine are not really working either. I am not 100% if his colitis is throughout or not. I will have to ask him. But it is clearly not under control. He is not bleeding as much as he was back in November but there is still blood present in every stool he passes. He is going back to the doctor today to try and figure out what they can do.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I urge you to get your husband to ask for rectal retention enemas. Rowasa would be what's in the US.

Consider that UC starts at the rectum. Apriso won't treat that area.

That's probably why the asacol didn't work. Both ends approach is the way it should be treated...
q

Last edited by quincy; 06-16-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I have read that a probiotic significantly helps UC--- VSL3--

It is a very strong probiotic supplement.

You can investigate it's research tests results that have been done online.

I wish your husband well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-16-2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
(female)

Gucci HB User

Hi there, I am a 29yr old female with the same problem as your husband, also with a concerned partner. I have a medical background so have researched for hours on end. I have started to find slight diet changes helpful and have been put on salafalk by my GI. Along with this I have been doing extensive research and experimentation of herbs and supplements. My diagnosis is moderate acute UC.

I take mimtec - an IBS peppermint slow release, peppermint is anti-spasmotic for the digestion tract, my partner and I also drink this at night. I also recommend "slippery elm and glutomine" both protect the digestive tract. I think that talking with people in health food shops has helped and also pharmacists to find a balance. I take Omega 3's, psyllium husk, iron tabs, Vitamin B, C & D and a probiotic on a daily basis. I also start the day with a wheatgrass shot, wheatgrass has been proven to help with anti-inflammatory, fatigue and GI issues, not to mention fighting cancer which is a high risk in the bowel for UC patients. I have been researching chilli also as there is a link between the fiery peppers cause a burning sensation when we eat them by stimulating certain receptors in the gut or mouth.

Now, the bad news is that if you want to fix UC it is expensive to go out on a limb and experiment with supplements etc, however the bowel is not absorbing properly and the immune system is fighting overtime so desperate actions need to take place. My GI has not helped with my diet, i think this is something that your husband needs to do, and be patient, it won't just happen over night - but the GI is a seperate component - we are what we eat. All the best x

Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
(female)

faefeverfan HB User

Has he had endoscopy and colonoscopy? He could be misdiagnosed. I have crohn's and uc and Remicade is the only thing that helped me. But a doc might start with steroids and antibiotics to stop the bleeding.

Closed Thread