It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

Lindy77 HB User
Remicade & Immunosuppreaant users

What can you tell me about your experiences on these types of drugs?

I had a visit with my GI yesterday. My body is not responding to steroid treatments or most mesalamine drugs. My GI doctor and I discussed my next options, which frankly have me quite scared with the side effects. So any advice, experiences... anything... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
(female)

msdenise HB User
Re: Remicade & Immunosuppreaant users

i'm almost 65 (female) and have had ulcerative colitis since i'm 20, which supposedly flipped to crohn's in 2002. i was hospitalized in 2002, given i.v. of steroids, and after a week, released and had 3 remicade treatments and was put on 6mp (mercapturine (sp???), a/k/a purinethol. i have not needed a 4th remicade treatment and have been on 50 mg. til 6 mo. ago when it was reduced to only 25 mg. of the 6mp. i have not had 1 flare since starting 6mp in 2002. i do have fatigue and need a nap daily. yes, it suppresses the immune system and have been told to stay away from sick people, etc. but other than the fatigue, some red pin point marks on body, and bruising easily, it has been a wonder drug for me. have yet to get the flu since starting. it's worth a try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Hi
Thank you for your reply. That eases my apprehension about these drugs. I'm glad it's worked so well for you!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
(female)

faefeverfan HB User

Hi Lindy. I just wanted to let you know that I have tried Asacol, Prednisone, Metronidazol, 6-MP, and Remicade. Only Remicade and Asacol keep me in remission. 6-MP works for some, but can cause pancreatic cancer in a week! Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

Lindy77 HB User

Hi FaeFever,
I couldn't help but notice your name; I'm a huge fan of the series as well. I'm in the middle of reading the last book. It's a great series!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think my only option is to go with Remicade and I think another drug to help my body not attack the Remicade; I just don't like the potential side effects (cancer, uh no thanks!!!). But there are not many options left at this point. I'm glad you've found something that works and keeps your disease in remission. Maybe it's the answer. Thanks again

~Lindy

Closed Thread