It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

lild4 HB User
anything besides prednisone for flare up

Hi.

I haven't posted in awhile. My UC started a little over a year ago. Hospital stay for over a month, medication, steriods, blood transfusion, and things eventually went into remission. Until now. I have had over the past couple of weeks some blood and some bowel movements. Not wanting to experience what I went through before, I don't want this to get out of hand again. I currently take Imuran and haven't been on steroids for a few months. Is there anything else I can take besides prednisone to control this current relapse. I would like to have some different options before I go to my Dr.
I don't want prednisone ever again. The side affects were awful.
thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: anything besides prednisone for flare up

Yes, 5ASA medications...oral and rectal. BOTH. I take Asacol and Salofalk retention enemas (kept in overnight).

Do the homework regarding medications for UC...

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
(female)

faefeverfan HB User
Re: anything besides prednisone for flare up

I have had a runabout experience getting diagnosed with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. You can take Asacol, for inflammation. Remicade and Humira are immunosuppresants. 6-MP works for some people. That's all I know of from my experience and Remicade was the only thing that worked. I recently had a flare-up and had to be hospitalized, because a doc would only give me steroids. I wouldn't recommend the 6-MP because it can give you pancreatic cancer in like a week. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Closed Thread