It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

lild4 HB User
Medication dosage question

Hi to everyone,

I am presently in a flare up for UC for the last 2 months. My Dr. wanted to put me back on prednisone, which I flatly refused. I am currently taking 4800mg of Asacol. This controls the number of bowel movements but not the bleeding. Any thoughts or other medication to consider. This is only my second flare up.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Medication dosage question

Absolutely....in conjunction to the Asacol, request Salofalk retention enemas (I see you're in Canada) with refills and the guarantee from your doc that the pharmacy can call for refills as well.

The enemas treat the rectum and sigmoid and are retained overnight. That will help your flare...I swear by them.

You should use them nightly till your flare is over...meaning you are having NO symptoms. Then taper to once every two nights for a few weeks, and all is good taper to every third night...etc.

Basically, your butt rules the tapering...and I should add that maintaining a twice a week schedule of using the enemas can help you remain in remission.

I've used only 5ASA oral/rectal for the 22+ years since diagnosis.
It's what you should have been on long before the pred.

q

Last edited by quincy; 08-12-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

lild4 HB User
Re: Medication dosage question

Thanks for the response. I will check with my Dr. at my next visit which is soon. I should also have said that I also take Imuran and have been on that for a couple of years.

Take care

Closed Thread