It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
(female)

qiuyue HB User
ulcerative colitis, appetite loss, weight gain

I was diagnosed a few years ago with ulcerative colitis, though the symptoms have been going on for much longer than that. I've taken up reading a lot of ulcerative colitis to see how I can adapt my diete and make healthy choices but one thing that I don't get is... why am I gaining weight??

I'm never truly hungry at meal times, I don't snack, I don't eat high-sugar foods to prevent bloating and I never eat packaged foods out of personal taste (I prefer cooking everything fresh). My portions are usually the size a 10 year old child would eat, though I've seen children eat more than I do. I do regular (but not scheduled or intensive) excercise, I barely drink alcohol (once or twice a month, not more than a few drinks or beers) and I cook everything from scratch.

I could keep going on about my food choices but I think it's pretty clear I'm doing evrything possible to stop bloating, flareups and feeling sick. I don't have a GI or a nutritioniste following me as I live in China, so seeing a doctor isn't optional, but I do know that most people who have ulcerative colitis loose weight, not gain.

So all in all, does anyone have any clue whats up? Is there anything I might be doing wrong? Does anyone have a 'food/ excercise plan' that might help? My weight is becoming unhealthy and I'm not sure what to do....

The following user gives a hug of support to qiuyue:
Plindroth (10-19-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
(female)

cngirl HB User
Re: ulcerative colitis, appetite loss, weight gain

I would say that you may have a Thyroid issue, and the only way to know for sure is to get tested at a lab.....You need to identify if that is the problem, then medication will need to be taken and adjusted by monitoring...Im sorry but you need to see a doctor. Maby there are some Chinese herbals that you can take for a sluggish thyroid, that would also be a great area to explore, The Chinese, are experts in holistic healing and the use of herbs and tea....Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread