It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
(female)

JWNY HB User
Question alternatives to prednisone

Hello all. I was diagnosed with colitis in July and my Dr. put me on a regiment of colazul and prednisone. It seems that I cannot get off the prednisone (its been 4 1/2 months). I finally got down to 5 mg every other day and my symptoms have returned - arrrr. I have an appointment to "discuss" alternative medicines. I'm wondering how common this is for a newly diagnosed person to have this problem. I've been on a total emotional rollercoaster and am trying to stay positive and focused on getting better... Any suggestions, precautions, comments welcome.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
(male)

Squaretop HB User
Re: alternatives to prednisone

I don't know a lot about these diseases, but I do know a few people that are now taking immune modifying drugs like Remicade and Humira for Crohn's disease once they were weaned off of prednisone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

JWNY HB User
Smile Re: alternatives to prednisone

Thanks Squaretop - My Dr suggested I try 6mp, if that didn't work we were going to have to try Remicade. I've been on it for a month and am doing much better. I should finally be off of the steroids in another week! I don't like the idea of immunosuppressors, but I was at my wits end.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWNY View Post
Hello all. I was diagnosed with colitis in July and my Dr. put me on a regiment of colazul and prednisone. It seems that I cannot get off the prednisone (its been 4 1/2 months). I finally got down to 5 mg every other day and my symptoms have returned - arrrr. I have an appointment to "discuss" alternative medicines. I'm wondering how common this is for a newly diagnosed person to have this problem. I've been on a total emotional rollercoaster and am trying to stay positive and focused on getting better... Any suggestions, precautions, comments welcome.
First- Stay Positive, I was diagnosed only in December so I know the emotional roller coaster your talking about. One day you feel fine the next you feel like garbage. One thing my doctor told me was, healing is not a straight line it will be an up and down journey. Stinks I know but what are you going to do, you have it so we have to accept and adapt. As far as the prednisone, from what I was told (I took it for 4 weeks 40 mg down to zero) it is to reduce the swelling and get you to a baseline. So if you are getting recurring symptoms you may still have swelling- when was your last flare?

You may also want to see if you can take lialda instead of colazul. It is the same thing (anti-inflammatory) but I take it and it works well for me. (http://www.lialda.com/) - I started on Asacol and that messed me up bad...this has helped.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi..I would strongly suggest your doc add rectal retention medicaitons to your regimen. In the US, Rowasa would be the medicaiton.

q

Old 02-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
(female)

MsNica HB User

Hi. As a 14 year survivor of Crohn's I can give you a bit of advice. First off, have your GI double and triple check you have UC, not Crohn's. I went 3 years with a mis DX. Next its time to go up the ladder to an immuno or biologic. I know thats not what you want to hear but an immuno or biologic is actually BETTER for your body long term. Pred is terrible. Make plans to get off it as soon as possible. Most of the emotional roller coaster you are feeling is a prednisone side effect (lovely eh?) my docs joke that my husband can move out when they have to put me on pred now because of my attitude. The long term effects of Pred are catastrophic. Something they don't bother to tell you when you get Dxed.

So here's a rough outline of meds that are there, look them up, be knowledgeable go to your doctor knowing something and make him PROVE he knows what he is doing. First line of IBD drugs is Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa (this is where you are now) Then we move into immunosuppressants Methotrexate, Immuran, and 6mps Then we have Biologics, Humira, Remicade and Tsarbi. Right now I am on Sulfazalazine (kinda the same as Asacol) and Humira for my gut and basically in remission. It is common to use 2 different types of medications to induce and maintain remission. For instance Remicade and Methotrexate is a common combo. ( I can't take Immunos thats why I am not on one) The best advice I can give you is to become your own advocate. Find support groups, learn everything you can about your illness so you know what your GI is really talking about instead of just taking for granted the guy in the white coat will do the best for you.

Lastly, it will get better. Yes it's a life long condition but as you learn how to deal with your illness, your triggers and find medications that treat you it does get better.

Closed Thread