It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

Lady Lotus HB User
IBD/Crohns in 7 Yr Old

Hello, my name is Hillarie and Im new to the boards.

My 7 yr old son was just diagnosed a couple weeks back with IBD and they are 99% sure its Crohns specifically.
Right now he's on Prednelosone(sp) and Iron and Prilosec cuz his red count was low due to bloody stools over a few months and Prilosec cuz the scopes revealed a bit of irritation in his belly.

On the 7th we went for a follow up to see what the scope biopsy found and it was inconclusive(GI has always felt it was Crohns) so the dr had us go get a CT to confirm Crohns or UC.

CT showed an immediate issue...appendecitis. My son had shown no symptoms or anything that would have led anyone to consider that as a problem. Basically my son became an anomoly for that moment in time LOL.

That night they took the appendix and also did an iliocolectomy in hopes of relieving some of the inflammation.

We will find out Wednesday what the pathologists found in the samples sent from surgery. But I believe what the drs have seen...that its Crohns.

My question and reason for being here is to find out more, understand what will be needed from me to help my son move forward in life and how to support him and also help my husband move forward because he is in denial zone right now.
He's read ***** a few times and doesnt believe its Crohns but does believe it is UC. He wont be satisfied with anything less than a 100% for sure diagnosis...any questions or doubts in his head will probably be met with stubbornness about taking meds.

So any suggestions and helpful tips would be most appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
(male)

mattjuk81 HB User
Re: IBD/Crohns in 7 Yr Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lotus View Post
Hello, my name is Hillarie and Im new to the boards.

My 7 yr old son was just diagnosed a couple weeks back with IBD and they are 99% sure its Crohns specifically.
Right now he's on Prednelosone(sp) and Iron and Prilosec cuz his red count was low due to bloody stools over a few months and Prilosec cuz the scopes revealed a bit of irritation in his belly.

On the 7th we went for a follow up to see what the scope biopsy found and it was inconclusive(GI has always felt it was Crohns) so the dr had us go get a CT to confirm Crohns or UC.

CT showed an immediate issue...appendecitis. My son had shown no symptoms or anything that would have led anyone to consider that as a problem. Basically my son became an anomoly for that moment in time LOL.

That night they took the appendix and also did an iliocolectomy in hopes of relieving some of the inflammation.

We will find out Wednesday what the pathologists found in the samples sent from surgery. But I believe what the drs have seen...that its Crohns.

My question and reason for being here is to find out more, understand what will be needed from me to help my son move forward in life and how to support him and also help my husband move forward because he is in denial zone right now.
He's read ***** a few times and doesnt believe its Crohns but does believe it is UC. He wont be satisfied with anything less than a 100% for sure diagnosis...any questions or doubts in his head will probably be met with stubbornness about taking meds.

So any suggestions and helpful tips would be most appreciated.
Hi Hillarie, Sorry to hear that your son is going through this, a terrible thing for a young person to deal with and also you and your husband! and probably quite confusing as well, you can get good info online for diet, as some foods can make things worse, I would say make sure he takes any meds as required

Did they do any biopsies or test the removed section at all?

Closed Thread

Tags
7 yr old, crohns