It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Pattyanne HB User
fiber pills

I was just wondering if anyone has taken fiber pills with ulcerative colitis. I feel that I could use them.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: fiber pills

I have UC and have taken fibre capsules for a very long time.

They are good for many reasons....first, they're a prebiotic for probiotics (which you should also be taking).
Second, they help in cleaning the digestive tract as fibre does.
Third, they exercise the digestive tract...evening peristalsis, spasming, and helping regulating bms.
Fourth, they bulk AND soften stool.

I use Metamucil or SuperStore brand capsules. Not Walmart brand (I think there's artificial sweetener or aluminum in them or something I don't agree with, can't remember).

I take them WITH meals, not between. You can take medication-with-food -medications since the fibre is used as a "food" and with food".

I started out with one capsule with meals for a week, then upped to two with each meal, then upped to three, etc.

I eat two major meals a day, so I'm at 6 with each meal. You can take 15 per day...so work your way up.

Make sure you drink a full glass of water when taking them. I take all 6 at once (used to taking a lot of pills/supplements at the same time..I never do one at a time.

They are a huge plus for anyone.

So, what meds are you on for your UC....and is your UC throughout or limited (wo where)?

q

Last edited by quincy; 12-27-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

Pattyanne HB User

My ulcerative colitis was all the way up. I am now in "medical remission". I take imuran and asacol hd. I only have problems occasionally but always have to be careful.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It's great to hear you're doing well.

I would suggest to start slow as I stated. Take a good quality probiotic. Many with UC use VSL#3. I use two kinds...Renew Life Critical Care and Primadophilus Reuteri capsules. Both I take at night on an empty stomach.

I'm a huge proponent of rectal meds...do you use them at the first sign of a flare?

q

Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
(female)

Pattyanne HB User

At the first sign of a flare I can usually just take imodium. If there's a problem after a couple of days I call the Dr.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Interesting, Imodium isn't used for treating flares...but it will slow down your colon. It's really not recommended for UCers since they can be prone to megacolon, but I would think it will come in handy for one to function until the meds kick in.

Do consider the rectal meds...I use the mesalamine retention enemas (Salofalk), for treatment and then taper to a maintenance. Worth the use of them...

Stay well!
q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
Pattyanne (12-29-2011)
Closed Thread