It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User
asacol or ibs

hi all,
I never really got a handle on this disease since first noticing blood last febuary. Over Xmas i unmedicated myself(just lazyiness, feel free to scold me) and i noticed a few changes in my symptoms. increase gas mucous blood and passing something pr every toilet trip.
so as i had an app with my gi on fri 13th there i decided to get serious with my meds.
i doubled my dose of asacol to2400mg and inserted the dredded pentasa supp every night. (i say dredded because i hate using them) i usually take asacol every night so i wouldnt notice it upsetting my guts when im asleep but now im taking them during the day i do. My gut fills with painfull gas and my abdomen is rock hard. it really uncomfortable..
So on friday i told my Gi exactly that. His reply was that "I dont think it has anything to do with the asacol or UC but IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME aswel as UC.
Then he said he was gonna put me on an 8wk course of steroids Predisalone (sp). I refused them and asked about a steroid enema predfoam and maybe a 5asa enema as i dont like using the suppositories. He said to try that for a month but if it doesnt improve to go the steroid route.
Si now im on
salofalk 1g enema daily and
predfoam 1g daily and
decreased dose of 1600mg asacol daily.
What do yous reckon folks any thoughts on the meds
what do yous think about the IBS dx without any investigions?
havent started yet cuz my gp needs to do out the script for me.will start tomorrow.

Last edited by jujumcm; 01-15-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: asacol or ibs

Get back on the 2400 mg dosage of Asacol. Are you on the 400 mg pills? take them twice a day, maybe with meals..that should help some possible discomfort. But, they don't dissolve in the stomach.

Stomach discomfort, distention, etc is a symptom of limited rectal inflammation, once you get the inflammation under control, your symptoms will improve. Yes, it could be in combination of your flare.

The suppositories are NEVER enough medication to treat a flare...I probably mentioned that in the past.

What enemas are you using when? Is the Asacol foam as well?

I would try real hard to get the meds to work for you...I can make suggestions. I would also urge you to avoid the pred forever...and get really smart about the meds.

I applaud the doc for not pushing for the pred...much depends on how desperate you are in getting things under control. Remember, this isn't the only flare you'll have...the next one will be just as desperate.
Again...I urge you to understand how the meds can work.

I would suggest you ask the doc for an antispasmodic. I use dicyclomine (Bentylol in Canada)...start with 10mg before bedtime.

How are you eating? Some foods can cause more discomfort. Are you taking probiotics? ARe you taking fibre supplements?

Hang tough...it takes a while to get it figured out.

q

Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
(female)

thank Q. over 200 views and 1 reply. i appreciate it.
the asacol is oral tablets. im not taking anything yet as im seeing my gp tomorrow morning to write me out a med card script. i have a med card here in ireland that entitles me to free medical and drugs.
my GI recommended i take the predfoam in the am and salofalk in the pm. he said to stay on them for a month. i totally agree im gonna get wise with my meds and make them work b4 i make myself really ill. im not going down the steroid route. no way.
So you think i should stay on the higher dose of asacol? i mite try a lower dose for a while and increase again if no improvement.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

2400 is considered a maintenance dosage. I've been on that dosage for 23 years, upped it twice to 3600 for stubborn flares in all those years.

Where exactly is your UC as per your original diagnosis?

q

Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
(female)

[QUOTE=quincy;4911705]2400 is considered a maintenance dosage. I've been on that dosage for 23 years, upped it twice to 3600 for stubborn flares in all those years.
really! my GI said it was quite a high dose.
maybe for some1 with limited uc no?

Where exactly is your UC as per your original diagnosis?

cant answer that, i've had no further examinations since. feels as if it worse though. dont know if it means it's spread or inflamations just got worse.

sorry for delay. we are in different time zones.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The beauty of this site is one can answer anytime....

If your UC seems to have gotten worse, that's why I suggest you stay on the 2400mg oral asacol. It will deal with the inflammation above the sigmoid. The enemas will deal with the lower part/rectum/sigmoid.

Are you slated for another c-scope? when was your last one?

q

Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User

Hey Guys

I have a quick question. I am new to this, just 2 months since I was diagnosed with sever UC. My GI Originally put me on Asacol but after 10 days it just made me feel like crap. My GI took me off and put me on Lialda once a day and Prednisolone for 12 days (just getting off wed), that was to get the swelling down.

I have not had DH, I have been going once a day for the last month. The problem I have is I still get a slight pain on my lower left side (right above the *** cheek) and the last week it burns when i pee. Can these pills give you a bladder infection?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
(female)

no word of another c-scope. how often should they be done? my 1st and only scope was last may pre-diagnosis.

Last edited by jujumcm; 01-16-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
(female)

sicknj
sound like a water works infection to me. i had 2 in my lifetime and both times i had flank pain and increased urination and burning. ive never been on lialda so i cant comment on them, but all these drugs are bound to have an effect on our kidneys. bring a sample to your gp for dip test to see whats up.

Last edited by jujumcm; 01-16-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
(male)

Thanks, I called him this morning. Last night I woke up at 2 am with some cramps and went three time, only the last was lose the first 2 were normal but a little hard to pass.

This morning I have that "pulled muscle" pain in my lower and middle back, I don't know if this is a flare, from trying to go last night or if it is just something I ate....I hate this sickness. I am constantly over thinking every pain, how long should you wait to get a follow up colonoscopy?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
(male)

Thanks, I called him this morning. Last night I woke up at 2 am with some cramps and went three time, only the last was lose the first 2 were normal but a little hard to pass.

This morning I have that "pulled muscle" pain in my lower and middle back, I don't know if this is a flare, from trying to go last night or if it is just something I ate....I hate this sickness. I am constantly over thinking every pain, how long should you wait to get a follow up colonoscopy?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
(female)

This morning I have that "pulled muscle" pain in my lower and middle back, I don't know if this is a flare, from trying to go last night or if it is just something I ate....I hate this sickness. I am constantly over thinking every pain, how long should you wait to get a follow up colonoscopy?[/QUOTE]

i have no idea. asked that question myself. spose if alls well you wouldnt expect them regular. i think once every 2 years.
but when things are bad or suddenly change you'd expect to be investigated again

Closed Thread