It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Sweet potato

Does any one with UC have issues with sweet potato? Second time that I ate a sweet potato for dinner and I had an Orange poo and some bad the next day....

Last edited by SickinNJ; 02-07-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

MsNica HB User
Re: Sweet potato

Most people with IBD have different "trigger" foods. Sounds like you found one of yours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Food doesn't cause a UC flare and from what you describe isn't a trigger, but some foods have action in the digestive tract regardless and can increase activity.

Orange poo only makes sense since sweet potato is orange. It's high in fibre and water...so if your bm was looser/softer, it would be from the sweet potato.

How much did you eat? Did you have anything else with it?

If you are flaring and have inflammation continuing to higher in the rectum and above, bms will come out faster. The less time in the colon, the less time having water absorbed and the colour changed somewhat darker and browner.

All sounds normal to me for possibly anyone, not just a UCer.

q

Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
(female)

MsNica HB User

By "trigger" foods I don't mean an actual increase in disease I mean an increase in symptoms. Some foods disagree with different people more so than others. http://www.*****.com/ibd-crohns-disease/crohns-disease/creating-a-crohns-disease-diet-plan is a link that explains it in more detail from Web MD. One of the first things I was taught to do with my UC Dx ( even though it was a mis DX) was find the foods that made me feel worse and avoid them. For some people its milk (Lactose intolerance) others its wheat (celiacs) others its high fiber (low residue diet plan for most people in an active flare up is due to this) Creating a food diary that shows what foods have a negative effect on your GI tract will help you avoid symptoms. Does it effect the actual process of either disease? No, but it will help you live more comfortably.

The biggest issue is that every person with IBD has different "trigger" foods. It also depends on what phase your disease is in what will trigger more loose bloody stools. Learning how your body reacts to what foods will help you manage your disease symptoms.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
(male)

Funny thing, it has not happened since. I think it was the sweet potato, normally it does not bother me but this was a larger potato. Prob equal to 2 so I think it just passed through. Thanks for all the feed back, I was curious because I have read they are good for UC but it seemed to run through me.

I have a bigger problem now, the kids have had stomach flu's and I am concerned it is going to send me in to a bad flare. Not feeling so hot today....

Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
(male)

Funny thing, it has not happened since. I think it was the sweet potato, normally it does not bother me but this was a larger potato. Prob equal to 2 so I think it just passed through. Thanks for all the feed back, I was curious because I have read they are good for UC but it seemed to run through me.

I have a bigger problem now, the kids have had stomach flu's and I am concerned it is going to send me in to a bad flare. Not feeling so hot today....

Closed Thread