It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
(female)

glowworm20z HB User
Just starting the SCDiet, also have C Diff, help?

Hi! I'm brand new to this board. I was dx with a C Difficile infection in Nov 2011, and then in Dec 2011, diagnosed with Crohn's.

Four days ago, I started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) with the intention of curing (or helping) my Crohn's. On the second day, my GI called to tell my I tested positive for the C Diff toxin again, but my stool sample was negative for the bacteria. He told me he doesn't know whether or not my stomach bleeding is due to C Diff or Crohn's. He gave me a choice of taking Vancomycin again for the third time for C Diff, or Prednisone for Crohn's, which I've never tried. The main reason I'm doing the SCD diet is because my GI never seems to give me a straight answer, and I'm very sick and willing to try anything.

I have lots of questions about all of these things, but maybe there is someone out there who has had recurring C Diff and knows a succesful way to treat it! Thanks all.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
(female)

MsNica HB User
Re: Just starting the SCDiet, also have C Diff, help?

Hi, I am a 14 year Crohn's sufferer. First off I would like to say there is no cure for crohns. Diet can effect symptoms but will not alter the course of the disease. I have read the SCD Diet and it would cause so many symptoms for me I would wind up in the hospital. One of the first thing you need to do when you find out you have Crohn's is find your personal trigger foods. They are different for everyone. My personal ones are fiber, seeds, nuts all the time then more foods are added the sicker I am. I strongly suggest starting a food diary. To see what triggers your symptoms. My GI tests me for C diff every time I flare. C diff will act just like crohn's for symptoms. It seems to me that you may not have crohn's at all but a tough case of C diff. How did they determine you had crohns? what tests? Is it possible someone around you is a carrier of C diff and keeps reinfecting you? It is highly contagious. I have never been on the medication for C diff. BUT I have been on LOTS of prednisone. Use it with care, last resort type thing. Doctors seem to want to push prednisone fast on newly DXed patients because it can stop symptoms fairly quickly, but it is NOT a long term medication. It does severe damage to your body over the long term. Osteoporosis, Mania, Weight gain, Acne, Moon Face and metaboloic changes just to name a few. I wish I had never seen prednizone at this point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread