It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
(female)

Jonnaw HB User
Husband diagnosed with Colitis

Hi all...
My husband was recently diagnosed with colitis after having a c-scope along with gastritis.The dr. said it's in his lower left side colon.Last year he was diagnosed with a parasite Entamoeba Histolytica,and according to his dr. is what caused the colitis.They say the parasite is gone but he hasn't got any better.It's been six months.I guess my question is now that we know he has colitis what kinds of changes need to be made to his diet,lifestyle etc?Thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Re: Husband diagnosed with Colitis

Jonnaw - It doesn't just go away and unfortunately there is no exact diet he should follow. There are diets that work for some like the SCD diet. Get the book breaking the vicious cycle it is worth the $.

Depending how sever he has the symptoms are, this will dictate what he should be eating. If he is lactose intolerant he should obviously stay away from dairy, if he is not he should cut back to specific cheeses (in the book). I cut out Gluten, although it did not cause me issues it was not helping.

Here are some foods that he should stay away from and some he should eat (http://www.*****.com/ibd-crohns-disease/ulcerative-colitis/creating-an-ulcerative-colitis-plan) - As far as a life style, don't change ....just be aware of the closest bathroom. I also tend to carry 2 Imodium in my wallet everywhere - just in case...

A lot of this illness is mental, so you need to stay positive....is he on any meds?

Last edited by moderator2; 03-07-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
(female)

Jonnaw HB User

Thank you for your words of wisdom His dr. put him on Bentyl 20 MG and Asacol 400 MG.Been on these almost two weeks,and he says right after he takes the Asacol his stomach gets really upset.In your opinion is this about all the dr. can do?

Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User

My Opinion does not mean much, I am not a doctor but Asacol did not make me feel good either, it made my stomach upset and it made me get hot flashes. I switched to Lialda and I tolerate it much better. It has allowed me to become more regular and it is a 24 hr slow release so you only take it in the morning with breakfast.

I will tell you, I still get a little upset in the morning after breakfast, and especially after I go but this is a stomach/ colon illness so your have to expect some set backs.

Also my doctor made a point to tell me that this is a slow moving healing and that it is not a straight line, I am tired of it after 4 months I could not imagine the people who lived with this for years. Everyday I am concerned and it wears on me, and I am not used to that because I was a very confidant guy. So what I can tell you is that help your husband deal with this physical change by helping him deal with it mentally, because it takes its toll.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-09-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to SickinNJ For This Useful Post:
Jonnaw (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
(female)

Jonnaw HB User

Thanks for all your help in learning how to deal with this.His dr. didn't help with information.I hope things get better for you

Closed Thread