It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
What does it mean when someone says "I am in a Flare for X months"

How do you know that your in a non stop flare and how do you know if your not? I was really sick the week before thanksgiving, that I know was a flare....but after that my doctor said I was in recovery. Then Feb 28th and 29th I had a flare, I know because I had really loos muddy stool and I was worn out, since then I have felt a little better each day...

Am I in a Non Stop Flare or did I go through two different flares. Another question I have is, I get a warm light pinching feeling in my mid left side - like a twitch....what is that?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User
Re: What does it mean when someone says "I am in a Flare for X months"

sickinNj
I would of thought that being in a flare meant having symptoms however minor and the opposite was remission. i would say your in a flare. being totally symptom free is when you're healed and in remission. no blood mucous diarrhea gas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
(male)

Thanks for the clarification, but even normal people get Gas and DH sometimes. So I guess if it is not happening consistently it is a good sign.

I just hate the hot flashes, like I am a 60 yrs old woman. I get very warm - not fever. I walk around with a body temp of 96.7 normally (i know I am cold blooded...LOL) so when I get to 98.8 or so I feel very warm. I think it is the meds but my doctor thinks it is nothing to worry about. Does anyone else experience that- normally starts in my feet and then on my right side...

Old 04-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bootstrap7 HB User

Yeah, it is hard to figure out sometimes. To me, "in recovery" is different than "remission". In recovery means healing, on the mend, headed in the right direction, getting things under control. Remission is completely symptom-free and on a stable maintenance drug.

Also, those of us who have had really bad flares in the past have traumatized intestines, which can often lead to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) even when we're not flaring... IBS is pretty harmless, but the symptoms are almost identical. So sometimes when I am in recovery, I still have some IBS symptoms that resemble my ulcerative colitis. The only main symptom that I know is different between the two is blood. If there is any blood involved, then I know for sure it is ulcerative colitis. There is also blood test the doc can run called "C Reactive Protein" that measures the amount of inflammation in your body. Normal is 0-9 (the lower the better). When I was at my worst flare, my levels were right around 50, but when I'm pretty much in remission they are somewhere around 3. So you know if there is a lot of inflammation, it is probably the disease. If there is little to no inflammation, then it is probably just IBS.

It would be practically impossible for someone else over the web to be able to say whether you had a short remission or if you were flaring the whole time. You would have to analyze your own symptoms and compare them to times you know you were in remission or before you got the disease. It's possible you may not ever be able to get a solid answer. But we do know when our symptoms are bad or good, and which direction we want them to head... Good luck with yours!

As for your other question... It depends on what meds you are on. If it is just mesalamine (brand names Asacol, Lialda, Rowasa, Penasa), those are pretty harmless and shouldn't be causing temperature changes. But if you are on Prednisone or any immunosuppressants (Imuran, Remicade, Humira), then those could definitely affect your temperature, heart rate, etc. The side-effects are not fun, but they are better than the disease.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
(male)

You didn't double post....Don't worry it was a good one, I would have read it twice. I take Lialda and Canasa, MY GI said he thinks that the hot flashes are nothing to be concerned about.

I will say this, I have been on Canasa for 2 weeks - the first week I had some chills and D twice, since then (knock on wood) I have had consistent solid movements every morning. I take the Canasa right after so i do get some gas cramping, but that is because I think I am really cleaned out. My issue is I have never saw blood in the toilet, so I cant tell if I am flaring or just had a bad meal the night before.

This is not a bad thing, I don't want to see blood. MY GI and my DR just took a ton of blood from me and stool and urine. They are looking to see if I have any other issues, or if my UC is being caused by any bacteria / infection. I just want to get healthy and would prefer not to take pills at all, because I am relatively younger (36) so taking pills everyday long term is going to cause some issues down the line...

Closed Thread