It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
(male)

boiler11 HB User
Right Upper abdominal pain. Gallbladder, liver, or Crohns?

I posted this already in the Gallbladder section, but I think it is equally or more suited here with those who have Crohn's disease and might be able to help.

Hi. I'm 24 years old and I've been experiencing chronic abdominal pain in the upper right area of my abdomen, underneath my ribs for 3 months now. The pain is constant, and is accompanied with a lot of gurgling and a pressure that feels like there is a balloon inside. I haven't noticed any relation to anything I eat, it is pretty much constant, and I rarely have diarrhea. I have had almost every test done with inconclusive results, so I'm looking for any suggestions here.

My HIDA scan reported an ejection fraction of only 14%, but I have had two gastroenterologists tell me that my symptoms do not mimic common gallbladder issues and they do not believe it is the source of my pain. CT scans and ultrasounds have not shown any gallbladder stones or noticeable inflammation. The other tests that came back abnormal are a high bilirubin level in the blood (3.0 in the last test), a borderline low Vitamin B12 level, and a positive indicator on an IGG test. I have had an EGD, colonoscopy, and capsule endoscopy all of which did not find anything. With all of this, my gastroenterologist has diagnosed with me Crohn's disease and put me on Prednisone and Asecol HD medications. She admitted that Crohn's disease can sometimes be hard to diagnose and she can't confirm that is actually what is wrong with me.

Is there enough evidence to be treated for Crohn's disease? Can it still be a gallbladder problem even though my symptoms aren't the same as the general gallbladder symptoms? What does a bilirubin level of 3.0 mean? Can my high blood pressure medicine, Bystolic, be related to any of this? My biliribuin was 0.9 in 2009 before starting BP medicine. Should I be doing more or just take the prednisone for the next 8 weeks? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated since I have had a few doctors testing me for months without anything conclusive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Re: Right Upper abdominal pain. Gallbladder, liver, or Crohns?

I would get a second opinion before I started taking steroids and Asacol. It could be crohn's but with nothing showing on any of the test that is a reach in my mind. It would be like telling someone with a pulled muscle they have crohn's and starting tratment- she has the same amount of proof...

Get a second opinion first, and ask your primary about the side effects of your pills. Also I assume that you have had your blood tested in the last three years while on the meds, ask your doctor to look at your levels over that time - see if they went up...

Closed Thread

Tags
bystolic, crohns, gallbladder, liver