It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
First attempt at nuts and Medication Question

I had my firs attempt at nuts yesterday, I was on the golf course and I was hungry so I bought a bag of planters cashews. Well I at them around noon and I woke up this morning at 1:30 am to go...

It was not D, but is wash a thick heavy passing. I also followed that up with some major gas. Does anyone else get this with nuts?

I have been trying this SCD diet and it makes me feel worse? Is that possible?

I am at a loss, I feel tired all the time and my hips and buttock feel achy. My GI says I have sever chronic active UC but I am only on 2 Lialda a day, am I under Medicated? Should I take a probiotic? Multi Vitamin? Iron Pill? - I feel under treated or over diagnosed. If my UC is that sever then why so little treatment?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: First attempt at nuts and Medication Question

Hi...not all who try the SCD have success with it for various reasons. I, personally, haven't tried it.

You are definitely undermedicated by not having rectal meds added to your regimen. I would suggest you ask for Rowasa retention enemas.

You don't need iron unless your iron is low...have you had it checked?
There are many male multivitamins...my husband uses the Men's Multi Extra from Nutrition House.

Probiotics, in my opinion, are necessary. I use Ultimate Flora Critical care and Primadophilus Reuteri at bedtime only. Many with UC or CD use VSL#3.

If you're wanting to continue the SCD, just don't overdo the nuts. They're high in fat, which might be a bit too much for you.

You need rectal meds for sure. Consider that UC starts at the rectum and heals downward to the rectum. Lialda will not treat that area effectively.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
(male)

Thanks, I think I need a second opinion. I called the DR this morning because yesterday was a bad gas day- crippling. All they said was that they may put me on steroids again to reduce the swelling and do another colonoscopy and see how we should treat it. I don't understand why this DR does not do rectal meds. He said he does not think they are necessary in my case, also he has never mentioned a probiotic. As for my blood test, I am going to my primary this weekend I will have her take my blood.

I think I need a new GI

Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Well...sucks your doc is being a butt about YOUR butt...sheesh.

I would run far and fast from a doc who insisted I should be on steroids. Actually, in 23 years of UC, I've only done 5aSa oral/rectal.

You really need to see another GI...or say to yours..."I want to try them, and since it's a logical topical option , it's worth a try rather than being on systemic steroids. Will you please write me a prescription and refills?"

When was your last c-scope?

It irks me when a doctor doesn't trust his patient and the patient's symptoms to be that of a flare. You are definitely under treated med-wise...that point is obvious. The other option is for you to ask the doc for a steroid foam enema...cortifoam could be helpful if he's so anti-mesalamine rectals.
q

Last edited by quincy; 03-20-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
(male)

My only c-scope was Dec 21st - that was one month after the huge flare that caused me to go to a GI - until then I did not know I had UC. I took Steroids in January for 2 weeks to get me to a baseline. I was pretty ok Most of Feb, then the 28th and 29th I had issues, no D but every heavy and thick each morning.

Since them I have felt this way every 10 days and have had a consistently tired and achy. I also have pinching back and tummy pains, like little cramps. They want to do the steroids for 2 more weeks and do another scope...

Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
(male)

My only c-scope was Dec 21st - that was one month after the huge flare that caused me to go to a GI - until then I did not know I had UC. I took Steroids in January for 2 weeks to get me to a baseline. I was pretty ok Most of Feb, then the 28th and 29th I had issues, no D but every heavy and thick each morning.

Since them I have felt this way every 10 days and have had a consistently tired and achy. I also have pinching back and tummy pains, like little cramps. They want to do the steroids for 2 more weeks and do another scope...

Old 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've never heard of a doc requesting a scope 4 months after the first one. Maybe a year afterward.....to make sure all is good.

Prednisone...well, it might do OK this time, but what about the next? and the next? and the next? etc.

Personally, I think he's setting you up for medication failure, to absolutely poo-poo rectal meds, and to believe that you need c-scopes to check for inflammation when it's obvious you're flaring.

You do need a new doc, and remember that you have a RIGHT to be proactive in your care, to refuse tests that are not necessary/invasive without good reason, and to refuse medications because of side effects and inefficiency.

BUT...in saying that, you can bargain with him and say..OK, pred for another 2 weeks in conjunction with Rowasa..and refills for Rowasa treatment and tapering to maintenance as well. NO scope till the end of the first year....I'm excited to get better.

I guess it depends on what you want and how you can relate to your doctor.

q

Last edited by quincy; 03-21-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
(male)

So I went to the doctor and he did not want me to go on steroids, he said I misunderstood and that would be the last resort. He gave me a multivitamin for the fatigue, it has a bigger dose of Vitamin B,D and Flaxseed oil and he gave me Canasa for the next 30 days to see if it helps. He thinks that the reason I am feeling the way I do is that the lower part of my colon is not getting treated by the lialda but it is helping the rest of the colon. He thinks I am actually healing well...we will see

Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok...well, that's a bit better for sure! How did you misunderstand him if you asked for rectal meds in the past?

If the Canasa doesn't give you enough relief, please push for the Rowasa.

Did the doc prescribe the Canasa at night only? or night and day?

Just a friendly fyi...If you have gas and expel it while you have a suppository in, you will for sure have leakage. Try to remember you have it in, for you won't feel it coming out.

Keep me posted as to how you're doing.
q

Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
(male)

THAT IS A GREAT TIP! No he asked when I normally go to the bathroom, i told him no matter what i only go once a day but huge- normally 30 min after I get up. He said that really makes it seem like I am healing every where but the lower colon, that and the fact my body weight has been consistent. So he want me to do it after I go in the morning and I am "empty" - but that gas tip is huge...

I will keep you posted...

Closed Thread