It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Question about canasa

I have been taking Canasa for 2 weeks now and prior to taking it I did not have D for 3 months, but I had a heavy feeling in my lower colon and non consistent moments. Since I have been taking it I have had more formed consistent movements but have also had three days of cramps and D....I am not sure if this is working or if I have an allergy?

I asked my GI yesterday but he does not think I am having an allergy because I tolerate Lialda. I should point out the heaviness is gone and I do not get the D after taking it....I get it the next morning. I take the Canasa everyday around 10 AM and it stays in all day.

Does this happen to anyone else

Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Question about canasa

What exactly is the extent of your UC?

Do you only have one BM daily?

Is it actual diarrhea or loose/ soft stool?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
(male)

Right Form My Biopsy Report: I have sever chronic active colitis with ulceration. The rectum has mild to moderate architectural distortion, mild to moderate chronic inflammation, rare paneth cell metaplasia and patchy cryptitis. No diysplasia, no organisms identified.

So with that said, prior to taking Canasa I did not have D at all (after the main flare in November settled). I tend to have 1 movement a day in the morning, whether formed or not. I take the Canasa in the morning 2 HR after my movement. My GI said he does not think it is a reaction but I have had D 3 times since starting it - about time every 4 days...

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
(male)

Right Form My Biopsy Report: I have sever chronic active colitis with ulceration. The rectum has mild to moderate architectural distortion, mild to moderate chronic inflammation, rare paneth cell metaplasia and patchy cryptitis. No diysplasia, no organisms identified.

So with that said, prior to taking Canasa I did not have D at all (after the main flare in November settled). I tend to have 1 movement a day in the morning, whether formed or not. I take the Canasa in the morning 2 HR after my movement. My GI said he does not think it is a reaction but I have had D 3 times since starting it - about time every 4 days...

Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I would then suggest you ask the GI to change your med to a steroid topical such as retention enema..or suppository.

I, personally, don't think the suppositories are a "treatment" for UC, and I don't think you're on enough medication.

So, you did have diarrhea in the past?

What does the report state for the sigmoid, descending, transverse, ascending and cecum?

q

Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
(male)

I have never had constant "D" - I have always been regular. In October of 2011 I started getting constant back pain, I thought nothing of it....I thought is was an old sports injury acting up because of my new chair at work. I had just started a new job and the temp office was crap, and I might as well have been sitting on a wooden chair.

Then right before Thanksgiving I woke up in the sweats and started getting the chills. That got progressively worse and I started having a fever spike, from there I had non stop D for 5 days - could not hold anything down. After about 5 days and an IV from my normal DR I was going normal, just a little lose. I went to my GI and had a the up and down scop done and that is what they came back with. Since December 21st 2011 I have not had D until this past 2 weeks.

I have gone one time a day and somewhat formed, before canasa I would go a little heavy and dark but not watery. Now on Canasa I have gone formed but have had D 3 times ...I don't think I am under medicated, I think I may just need to switch the type of Meds.

What I wrote earlier is all that is on the report.

Cecum Biopsy : Chronic Active Colitis with Ulceration- No Sysplasia or malignancy identified.

Rectum Biopsy: Chrinic Proctits, moderately active

Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

OK, so I'm confused. You have rectal inflammation AND cecal inflammation, but not inbetween??

What medication change do you think you should be on?

q

Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
(male)

Hey Quincy

See, now we are on the same page. Yes I have colitis in the rectum and the cecal but not in between, at least that is what this GI has been telling me. I don't know, I was thinking maybe 1000 MG in one shot is too much?

I don't know but I woke up with terrible cramps again and more D in the middle of the night for an hour. All I know if that I did not have "D" before taking Canasa and now I get bouts every 3-5 days on non stop.....and it wears the heck out of me.

Last night I had to take 20 mg of Dicyclomine and 1 Imodium to get back to sleep so I could come to work. Now I am tired and my stomach has little pinches (small cramps I guess) periodically.

I feel like on this med I feel great on my good days but it causes me to have more frequent bad days. I am actually really confused, and it is also a bit depressing. I have a job were I am constantly inform if people, running meetings, selling, ect....and I can't really have days like this.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...well, again...I don't think you're on enough medication for dealing with the rectal inflammation.

I use the enemas which are 4000mg in one shot. You aren't considering one thing...the rectum is where UC starts. You have one form that's unique in which the cecum and rectum are involved.

You haven't yet told me how much of the lower part is involved...it should actually state that on your biopsy report.

Did the doc do biopsies all throughout your colon? It should also state the incriments...meaning each area should state whatever...no inflammation, etc.

Try not to depend on the imodium..push for more meds...ask for the Rowasa retention enemas and get the inflammation dealt with.

q

Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
(male)

Yes he did a Biopsy - This is the hole report: am I missing something? So you think I may want to do one in the morning and one at night? Double up?

A:duodenum, Distal, Biopsy:
- Unremarkable duodenal Mucosa
-No evidence of celiac sprue

B: Colon, Cecum, BIopsy
-Chronic Activie Colitis with Ulceration
- No Dysplasia or Malignancy identified

C: Rectum Biopsy:
-Chronic Proctitis Moderately active.
-No Dysplasia or Malignancy identified

Comment: The cecum biopsy has severe chronic active colitis with ulceration. The rectum biopsy has mild to moderate architectural distortion, mild to moderate chronic inflammation, rare Paneth cell metaplasia and patchy criptitis. There are no granulomas identified. The Findings are most suggestive of idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease. Clinical enoscopic correlation is needed for accurate classification. There is no evidence of dysplasia. There are no organisms identified.

That is it, nothing says how much or where....Should get a new doctor? I have only seen him 4 times since November, not like he is on top of my situation

Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm puzzled that you don't have other biopsies throughout your colon....I get 30 - 36 biopsies done each time. 5 or 6 in each section.

But, that could be at your next c-scope.

Again, it doesn't say how much of the rectum is involved...should be in a measurement incriment.

I think these are questions you should formulate and ask him at your next appointment. I don't think you need to change doctors at this point...but I still think you need to be on a stronger rectal med which covers more area such as the retention enema.

q

Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
(male)

Thanks, I am going to see another doctor anyway because I want to walk him through everything I know and what is going on, I think a fresh set of eyes and ears would help at this point. I also seem to have an issue with the allergy shots that I just started, every time I get the I have a flare that night....I have very very bad out door allergies and I think my UC may be triggered by this also...So again all this information is something I want to run by a new doctor...

Old 04-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Definitely make a list and push for a plan...then make another appointment in about 6 weeks to revisit.

Are you on any antihistamines?

What other supplements are you taking?

q

Closed Thread