It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Is this possible?

I went for a second opinion and I went to a reputable doctor, one who was the head GI resident at My.Sinai NY one the best hospitals in the country. He is a little older then my current GI so I understand the way they look at things can be different.

He wants to go in and do another c-scop, he thinks i may not have colitis. He said the way it came on, as a sudden onset, that I never have has blood measured in my stool, that I have not had constant "D", that i have not had much weight loss except after the initial incident, it may not be colitis.

He thinks it could be a bacteria or something else, i have not responded poorly to medical treatment for colitis but I have not gotten much better. He said that some times if the biopsy comes back inconclusive for other things it will register as colitis....I guess I have to let him go back in.... but has anyone heard of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Is this possible?

Regarding the nonconstant diarrhea...it all depends on where the inflammation is and the severity of the inflammation. It's possible you have Crohn's and not UC considering where you have the inflammation...but there is a form of UC that the cecum/rectum and not inbetween.

Now....bacteria/viruses can be tested in stool samples and in the colon during biopsies. I'm puzzled that you didn't have biopsies throughout your entire colon during the other c-scope.

I guess I would be curious regarding more testing if it were me....and endure another c-scope with LOTS of biopsies to ensure nothing else was going on, etc. But, I'm talking from my own experience of always having lots of biopsies, stool testing, etc to ensure nothing else was going on.

I, personally, think you need to have confirmation. Remember that UC and CD are diseases that are confirmed more by exclusion of other things going on. It also doesn't mean you don't have one or the other with something else going on as well.

colitis is inflammation of the colon...you obviously have that.. He's thinking you don't have Ulcerative colitis....that's a specific diagnosis.

When are you slated for the c-scope?
q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User

Not till June, because they just went in at the end of December. He did tell me if I have any real issues between now and my next appointment in the next 3 weeks I should call him right away. O Good, I hope I don't have Crohn's, but I think I have colitis....I am just not sure I have UC. I also think the colitis is activated by my allergies....We'll see.

Just have to take it day by day....

Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You would have "colitis" even if is was Crohn's (because it is in the colon) or even if it caused by bacteria or virus.
"colitis" activated by allergies would be caused by ingestion, but I highly doubt it would follow the pattern yours has. I would agree allergies can exacerbate flares, however..but not cause them.

I think a second opinion is warranted considering you have many questions.

I was going to PM you, but I notice yours is not activated.
q

Closed Thread