It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
(female)

txarmywife HB Usertxarmywife HB User
When to go to ER?

I've been dx with IBD since 2000 @ 12 yrs old. I've never had any surgeries for my IBD (which resembles Crohns more so than UC) and opt for meds only during a flare. I'm currently in what I believe to be a pretty severe flare waiting for my referral to a GI. My current symptoms which have me concerned is severe left sided pain that comes in waves and vomiting blood. My question is at what point should an IBD patient go to the ER? I do not believe I have an obstruction because I'm still having D so what can the ER really do for IBD patients? My OB (I'm 18 wks pregnant) gave me Bentyl and Percocet which neither are helping. Even on the percocet (an anti-diarrhial and pain medicine) I'm still going a LOT. I can deal with the D as I've never known anything different but the severe pain is unbearable.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Re: When to go to ER?

Your pregnant and your in this bad of shape, why would you not go to the ER. What are you waiting for, you can never be too careful, and if your puking blood there may be something else wrong besides you IBD. I would GO NOW!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

The reason I'm hesitant is because I went to the doctor twice last week and both doctors didn't seem concerned. (they're OBs) In one of these appointments I was crying the whole time and could barely walk from the pain. That's when he prescribed the Percocet and said "yup it's your bowels hurting." No really? The puking blood didn't start until this weekend so after the appointment. Im thinking I may call nurse advice and if they tell me to go on I'll have hubby take me when he gets off of work. I just don't have much faith in the army hospital...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
(male)

I would still go...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
(female)

I called nurse advice who told me to call 911...instead opted to go to the ER when hubby got home. Because I'm pregnant they couldn't do many tests. Did an ultrasound which showed a healthy baby, no free floating fluid, abscess or hydronephrosis of the kidney (since I also have kidney stones). I did have a UTI (always get them cuz of the stones) so they have me fluids, morphine, zofran, and rocephin. Sent me home on Prednisonolone & Cefdinr antibiotic. Suppose to follow up with my OB to speed up my GI referral. Didn't really get answers but glad to be on steroids to hopefully help with this flare

Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
(male)

I am happy the baby is healthy. I tell you, I don't flare that bad, when I do flare I get a bit weak and have some cramps but most of the time I don't get "D"- I give people like you a lot of credit, I don't know how you can keep it together with all these symptoms....Good luck with your health and your baby!

Closed Thread