It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Has anyone heard of Colitis going away in 5 months

Hi Everyone

I went for a second opinion on Friday and had a second colonoscopy in 5 months on Friday. The first Doctor said I had sever UC and started me on meds. I was taking 2 lialda and 1 canasa each night. We upped the Lialda to 3 about a month ago. I never had constant "D" but had strange symptoms like Mucosa, but no blood or a heavy bowling ball feeling in my colon but never went more that once a day.

I went to a new doctor for a second opinion, he did the C-Scope and too biopsies and said from what he saw I am clean. I don't have anything wrong with me, can this be remission or do you think I was misdiagnosed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Has anyone heard of Colitis going away in 5 months

Depends on the biopsies results of the original c-scope.

Did the new doc take biopsies as well?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
(male)

He took much more, my first doctor only took the rectum and cecum

Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

The biopsies will tell if there was previous inflammation. When he said all is clean, did he say there's absolutely NO inflammation? or that there's a teeny bit in the rectum but very mild? etc?

When do you go back for the results?

I'll have to go back to your other posts when I believe I asked for the results of your last c-scope.

So, at this point....you're on an oral and rectal mesalamine?

Oh, and yes....you could very well be in remission. There are others with UC who show visually a perfectly clear c-scope, but the biopsies show some changes from previous inflammation.

q

Last edited by quincy; 05-30-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
(male)

He said he see nothing that would leave him to believe that I ever had colitis - This is a guy with a long career in this field and some great credentials- so i was shocked! I should have results back by Friday / Monday. I will let you know what they say- I was on Oral and Canasa, he said stop ...no need to take them. I am waiting until the biopsy's come back

Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...I searched back to your previous c-scope biopsies report, and you obviously had active inflammation in both the cecum and rectum when it was done (in November I think?).

So, for this doctor to say you have NO obvious inflammation and take you off your meds at this point is interesting....meaning that clearly the meds worked to reduce/diminish the inflammation...and to take you off the 5ASA cold turkey can possibly/probably trigger a recurrence of symptoms.

Did this new doctor see the results of your prior pathology report?

Will you be going to see the doc to get the results?

q

Old 05-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
(male)

he has everything, including he walked through my DR appointments and what I was feeling for 6 months prior. His concern from the first meeting was that it came on to quick, it all seemed to start about a month prior to me getting ill and then it seemed to start its way right back into healing mode.

I don't think he is dismissing that I had something wrong, but he said sometimes a bad bacterial infection or other things can come back as colitis from a biopsy. That is is why he wanted to go in him self, I guess it is all wishful thinking until I go in for the results next week.

I will let you know, thanks

Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
(male)

he has everything, including he walked through my DR appointments and what I was feeling for 6 months prior. His concern from the first meeting was that it came on to quick, it all seemed to start about a month prior to me getting ill and then it seemed to start its way right back into healing mode.

I don't think he is dismissing that I had something wrong, but he said sometimes a bad bacterial infection or other things can come back as colitis from a biopsy. That is is why he wanted to go in him self, I guess it is all wishful thinking until I go in for the results next week.

I will let you know, thanks

Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

OK, so he's basically saying that you healed up so well that to look at your colon he would never guess that you had any inflammation.

The fact that in your previous c-scope pathology report your cecum showed some ulceration is suspect of something. If you weren't bleeding, then it could be an infection. But, the fact that the cecum AND rectum were affected is a specific pattern to me.

Regardless...if your first doc said colitis and not Ulcerative Colitis, then that's a better diagnosis.
The fact that you were treated with 5ASA to treat the inflammation is a good thing, but if you had stool samples and didn't have anything come back could be that if you had a bacterial infection...it was most probably gone by that point.

UC can come on fast regarding obvious symptoms. There are many symptoms that we don't recognise for a long time before that and pass it off as food disagreement or a gastro bug or IBS..etc.

I would strongly suggest you set up a probiotic and fibre supplement regimen anyway...good to give as much protection to our guts as possible considering how easy it is to pick up any "invaders".

Looking forward to hearing the results next week. Wishful thinking is good regardless. It's good you had another c-scope with lots of biopsies and a doctor whom you trust.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 05-31-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
(male)

So Doctor called and said there is nothing wrong with you, no signs of having UC and I should stop taking the meds. This was Friday, I have not taken the meds since and I do feel a little better but I still am not regular. I am waiting for the report to be mailed to me, when I get it I am going to post it. The good news is I have a months worth of meds left, so if I start to flare or feel terrible again I will just start taking them again.

Do I need a 3rd DR to look at this stuff and split the difference, I am starting to feel like this disease is very mental and varies by each doctors opinion.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
(male)

So Doctor called and said there is nothing wrong with you, no signs of having UC and I should stop taking the meds. This was Friday, I have not taken the meds since and I do feel a little better but I still am not regular. I am waiting for the report to be mailed to me, when I get it I am going to post it. The good news is I have a months worth of meds left, so if I start to flare or feel terrible again I will just start taking them again.

Do I need a 3rd DR to look at this stuff and split the difference, I am starting to feel like this disease is very mental and varies by each doctors opinion.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL...doesn't it just irk you at the confusion of it all?

It's quite possible you had something, it triggered a response, and that's healed. With the first c.scope, you had obvious inflammation and you were treated properly if everything else such as bacteria, etc were ruled out via stool samples, etc.

It's awesome all is good at this point....and you going off the meds will tell all if you flare again. If you do end up with symptoms, you go back to this doctor and he'll do what he needs to do (hopefully) to make sure what's going on.

Since you did talk to him...did you ask why you had inflammation before and what the inflammation meant?

Are you using any fibre supplements or probiotics?

Explain what you mean by regular.
q

Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
(male)

I take an over the counter probiotic every day, no fiber but I should. When I say regular I just mean somedays it's harder than others to go and I am a bit bloated once in a while.

I also get nausea but that could be from my back drip and my bad allergies. I am a hot mess....

Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

yep, I can relate to the mess part....but I hide it well.

For fibre, I use Metamucil capsules...started with one capsule at one meal, then over a few days, added another capsule to another meal. Process over a few days to add another, etc. I eat out quite a bit, and it's easier to take capsules than mix powder. Besides, most have flavours and artificial sweeteners.

What kind of probiotic? Do you take them with meals or on empty stomach. I take mine on empty stomach at bedtime about an hour or so after my meds.

I hope you have improvement over the next while and that the inflammation you did have was a one-time thing.

Do keep me posted as to how you're doing regardless...thanks for answering my million questions..lol.
q

Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
(male)

I will, I am waiting to read the reports myself. I am concerned about my weight. Since last Thursday when i stopped taking my meds I have gained 8 lbs. I was telling my wife this morning that I am concerned because it is a lot of weight when I did not change my diet.

She thinks that because I had a c-scope it may just be water weight and it will go back down, I am concerned it is inflammation. I am torn on if i should stay off the meds cold turkey or if i should go back on and consider my self in remission ....do you gain any weight after a c-scope - what would you do if you were me?

Closed Thread