It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

Nightingale007 HB User
Early symptoms of Crohn's before diagnosed

I am curious to learn early symptoms people had before diagnosed with Crohn's. I know this disease is very different for different people depending on which part of the GI system it impacts. Did anyone have just vague symptoms of fatigue, occasional stomach pain, upset. Occasional loose stool. Gas. But consistently lots of fatigue and just not feeling well.

I have a 16 year old I am concerned might have something like this as it runs in my family. I don't know if it is better to get a early diagnosis or let things run their course. At times she is fine but has many episodes that are of concern. I do not want to alarm her or put some worry in her head unnecessarily. So I am ambivalent about having any tests for most of the time she functions fine. She does have occasional stomach/GI problems. Fatigue and general not feeling well is more consistent.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User
Re: Early symptoms of Crohn's before diagnosed

Try starting her on an over the counter probiotic, see if she feels better after a month. Sometimes it is your digestion track, and many people react different to feeling "off" - If it is not constant I think your doing the right thing by not getting her worked up....

The Following User Says Thank You to SickinNJ For This Useful Post:
Nightingale007 (06-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

Nightingale007 HB User

OK. Thanks so much. Both your suggestions make sense and are helpful. We've had her on OTC probiotics when she has a "flare up" and they seem to help but haven't maintained a preventative regiment. I will do it!!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
(female)

StephB HB User

There are yogurts that have probiotics that I take and seem to help. Other than that I'd just try and watch her diet, I was diagnosed when I was 17 and when I changed some of the things I ate it helped with the flares. Caffeine and raw veggies, and milk seem to be the main culprates during my flare ups. But I remember right before I was diagnosed I was really sick, and I mean really sick. My parents gave me anti-diarrhea meds but it didnt help. My stools were mostly mucos, and pink tinted. It took me a while to figure out the pink tint was from my stools and not related to my period. But things even now are always worse during or right before my period. I was tired a lot and didn't want to get out of bed. I don't remember much else though. I hope she gets to feeling better.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
(female)

Nightingale007 HB User

[Thanks for sharing your information and helpful suggestions. I'm sorry you have to go through your health problems with crohn's. My daughter has the same problems around her period. you speak of...feels worse and is so tired all the time. I'm working on getting her to take probiotics and eating yogurt may be easier to get her to follow. She doesn't want to get out of bed many times. My sister who is now 67 was diagnosed when she was 26 years old. I have watched her go through so much with it. Her son was diagnosed when he was in his 30's about 15 years ago. Watching what they have gone through I know it's a very debilitating disease. I know it seems like stress impacts her GI a lot. I also wonder if just getting overly tired also makes it worse. Take care of yourself and thanks again.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
(female)

StephB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale007 View Post
[Thanks for sharing your information and helpful suggestions. I'm sorry you have to go through your health problems with crohn's. My daughter has the same problems around her period. you speak of...feels worse and is so tired all the time. I'm working on getting her to take probiotics and eating yogurt may be easier to get her to follow. She doesn't want to get out of bed many times. My sister who is now 67 was diagnosed when she was 26 years old. I have watched her go through so much with it. Her son was diagnosed when he was in his 30's about 15 years ago. Watching what they have gone through I know it's a very debilitating disease. I know it seems like stress impacts her GI a lot. I also wonder if just getting overly tired also makes it worse. Take care of yourself and thanks again.
Yes getting overly tired will/can only make symptoms worse. I know this from experience. I have a 6 year old who gets up really early and sometimes I don't get sleep at night because I am up visiting the restroom and I know the next day is going to really hard! Make sure the yogurt says probiotics on it, not all yogurt has it. I know activia and some dannon brands have it right on the label. My husband tried helping and got me yogurt but it didn't have the probiotic in it... just look at the label (usually says it right on the front).

The following user gives a hug of support to StephB:
Nightingale007 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

aldunn72023 HB User

It is possible that she has IBS and that it is draining her. Find out what kind of stress she is under and help her find different ways to cope instead of putting it all on her stomach/colon. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to have stool samples checked for parasites. You can get these from undercooked foods, water (Drinking it or swimming in it), and many of other thing. This is what I would suggest. Hopefully it is just a small case of IBS, if not just something viral that she has happened to catch. I hope you find an answer and that she feels well soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to aldunn72023 For This Useful Post:
Nightingale007 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
(female)

Nightingale007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldunn72023 View Post
It is possible that she has IBS and that it is draining her. Find out what kind of stress she is under and help her find different ways to cope instead of putting it all on her stomach/colon. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to have stool samples checked for parasites. You can get these from undercooked foods, water (Drinking it or swimming in it), and many of other thing. This is what I would suggest. Hopefully it is just a small case of IBS, if not just something viral that she has happened to catch. I hope you find an answer and that she feels well soon.
Thanks so much. Hadn't considered parasites. For now she seems to be mostly stable. Just occasional minor symptoms. I will be interested to see how it goes for her after school starts and she has more pressure and gets less rest. The next trip to the doctor's office I will have them do a stool check for parasites. It's interesting a read a research article about experimental treatments for Crohns for patients who don't respond well to traditional treatment. One approach was to inject the patient with pig worm larvae. Apparently the system will attack these and leave the gut alone. One theory is that we are "too clean" as no 3rd world and/or underdeveloped countries have this disease. Thank you for taking the time to offer advise.

Closed Thread