It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

mom24cs HB User
3 year old with possible chrohn's?? Please read

Hi, I am really hoping there is someone on here that might be able to offer some input to what my son has been going through.

He is 3 years old and about two months before he turned 3 he started vomiting. At first we thought it was the flu, but then it kept happening. It would be daily then weekly, then nothing for a week or two, then again daily several times. I kept bringing it up to the pediatrician and he said it was post nasal drip and put him on nasonex. Vomiting continued and I kept bringing it up again to the dr. He then said acid reflux and put him on zantac - vomiting still persisted. Also said lactose intolerance and put him on lactose free milk.

8 months later and he is still vomiting regularly. I changed drs 3 months ago as we were getting nowhere. That dr ordered blood tests and everything came back fine - no food allergies, liver good, no celiac disease (which I thought it was), etc. Referred him to a GI who we just saw this week after waiting 3 months to get in. My son was actually doing better and had not vomited in 3 weeks, almost cancelled the apt but decided to keep it since we had waited so long, then the vomiting started again right before the apt.
Along with the vomiting he has abdominal pain, either loose stools or constipation (stools are often black). The GI had us bring in a stool sample and we are awaiting the results - said he is looking for h pylori or something else, but don't remember what the name was. If that comes back okay he is going to do an upper GI.
Here is where I started to think Chrohn's though- I started remembering other symptoms he has had, but I never thought to connect them. He has complained of his foot and leg hurting (bone pain?) which I thought was just growing pains, eye pain (which thought was due to his not sleeping), and mouth hurting (thought sensitive teeth due to all the vomiting-possibly cavities), cries when sitting in his carseat, complains his butt hurts a lot, and now has a rash on his butt, could these be related to maybe having Chrohn's?? I read that kids with Chrohns lose weight or are small though? Before this happened he was very small, now he looks kind of heavy for his age (but maybe he has a blockage causing the weight gain? he gained pretty fast it seems) The dr is checking for a twisted bowel if he does the upper GI, but does any of this sound like Chrohn's?

I am just going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with my son. Being this sick for 8 months is ridiculous and he is not the same kid he used to be. He used to love people, be outgoing, friendly, happy. He can still be that way once in awhile at home, but he will not talk to anyone he doesn't know really well, will grunt or scream when people he does not know even talk to him, won't even stand on the scale or let the drs or nurses touch him. This has been so traumatic.

Any input or words of encouragement would be wonderful and appreciated. Thanks for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: 3 year old with possible chrohn's?? Please read

Poor little guy must be so traumatized after all this. I did Know a baby who had this going on, but it started as soon as he went on solid foods. His parents took him off all gluten and he did get better, or maybe he grew out of it. Anyway they still keep the gluten way down and he is five now and OK. I hope that this new round of tests will help him. Sera

Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

mom24cs HB User

I just can't wait to get some answers.He now has a rash on his feet that look like tiny bruises so I am getting worried

Old 06-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
(female)

mom24cs HB User

Well, his stool test came back normal so upper GI scheduled for tomorrow am

Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
(female)

StephB HB User

I am not sure about little kids with it but I feel for you, I truly do. My son was lactose intolerant and it took months to figure it out. I know you said he tested neg for celiac but have the doctors talked about maybe a gluten intolerance? I know a couple years ago I had the vomitting and other symptoms you mentioned (granted I also have Ulcerative Colitis) but it felt different than the UC flare ups so I went gluten free and it helped some. I did test positive for h.pylori but only after they did an endoscopy and took biopsies (no other tests indicated h.pylori).. I hope the doctors can figure out whats going on with your little guy I feel bad for him because I know what it feels like as an adult and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
(female)

mom24cs HB User

Thanks for the reply, his upper gi came back normal, they told me he is constipated!! (not sure how accurate since he wouldn't drink the barium, had to force it with a syringe and he hardly had any in his tummy) They put him on prilosec (but not sure why as they told me he does NOT have acid reflux) and miralax. He threw up the prilosec, it must taste really bad. The miralax gives him diarrhea so I don't give it to him every day or if I do I give him a little bit. Not sure how a kid that goes every day several times can be constipated.
He has not thrown up in 3 weeks with the exception of one time, but I think that was due to the heat.
Not sure what i think now that he has gone that long (I am glad of course, but it wasn't like it was all in my head there had to be something wrong, right?)

Reply Reply