It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
(female)

Jessi702 HB User
Question What were your first symptoms

Hi everyone, Im really new here, and just recently had to go to the ER due to some tummy issues.My family has a history of colon cancer, gall bladder issues, diveticuolous(sp), IBS and IBD, actually my mother had 2/3 of her colon removed due to cancerous cells. Pretty much all my life, ive had tummy issues, and just about anything can make me vomit, AND normally, I have a BM about 3 times a day with mucsos,until a 2 months ago.

About 2 months ago, i started going more frequently, about 5 to 6 times a day.My stomach seems to be a bit tight and gassy. Let just ahead and 2 weeks ago, I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, due to it waking me, and my toliet had a nice pool of blood in it. I freaked out a bit, but it didnt happen again the rest of the day. Well this past saturday, there was again another pool of blood, larger this time, and clots.Needless to say, I went to the quick care, and told the MD. He gave me some meds...BENTYL, and Sulfazine, and told me to see a GI for a c-scope, because it could be UC or crohns Disease. My appointment is Friday.Is it possible im over-reacting, and theres nothing wrong with me. O, im going on 25 in a month.

So Im just wondering what were you first signs or symptoms, and how do you usually feel on a daily basis.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
(female)

StephB HB User
Re: What were your first symptoms

My first symptoms were I was very tired, had loose bowel movements several times a day to the point that they turned almost pure mucos and blood, and then it was just blood. On a daily basis I feel pretty crappy.. literally. I have 8-10 bowel movements a day, most are with little warning ahead of time. I really have to watch what I eat and how much sleep I get. If i don't get enough I am really tired and go to the restroom even more. I can't stand to have anyone or anything put even the slightest pressure on my abdomen because it is sore constantly, sometimes its more of a back ache it just depends. I was diagnosed in 1999 with Crohns, then 2 years ago they switched it to Ulcerative Colitis (not sure why). But int he beginning I just had the occasional flare ups though I did go a lot. The prep for a c-scope is worse than the actual scope part mainly because you are in the restroom for what seems like forever. It could be but I had a friend who also had similar symptoms to you and it was some sort of bug or infection in her intestine and it was resolved rather quickly. Hope all goes well but honestly the more you stress about it the worse you will make yourself feel. Try and relax, take hot/warm baths, get a massage or something to help you relax.

The following user gives a hug of support to StephB:
Jessi702 (07-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
(female)

Jessi702 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephB View Post
My first symptoms were I was very tired, had loose bowel movements several times a day to the point that they turned almost pure mucos and blood, and then it was just blood. On a daily basis I feel pretty crappy.. literally. I have 8-10 bowel movements a day, most are with little warning ahead of time. I really have to watch what I eat and how much sleep I get. If i don't get enough I am really tired and go to the restroom even more. I can't stand to have anyone or anything put even the slightest pressure on my abdomen because it is sore constantly, sometimes its more of a back ache it just depends. I was diagnosed in 1999 with Crohns, then 2 years ago they switched it to Ulcerative Colitis (not sure why). But int he beginning I just had the occasional flare ups though I did go a lot. The prep for a c-scope is worse than the actual scope part mainly because you are in the restroom for what seems like forever. It could be but I had a friend who also had similar symptoms to you and it was some sort of bug or infection in her intestine and it was resolved rather quickly. Hope all goes well but honestly the more you stress about it the worse you will make yourself feel. Try and relax, take hot/warm baths, get a massage or something to help you relax.
Thank you so much for the response. I went to the GI and based on my family history, and symptoms, he felt I need a C-scope.Its scedhuled for Aug 1, and the day before I have to do the usual preps,like taking 5 ducolax stool softners and a laxtive. Hopefully everything comes back normal.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
(female)

theamericangirl HB User

hi Jessi, i'm glad you're getting a C-scope because that's the only way to find out.
as far as i know, symptoms greatly varies among individuals. i dont have diarrhea, mainly mucus on toilet paper, some rectal bleeding, mild abdominal cramping all the way to rectum and a little fatigue.
based on your symptoms, this could be a lots of things. i hope it turns out to be nothing wrong, maybe just IBS???
some tips for the colonoscopy: make sure you drink that nasty laxative and stay home for the day. it basically makes you crap all day till you feel like your peeing through your butt lol i know the waiting game is awful. anyways good luck on your C-scope

Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User

Hi Jesssie,
My 1st symptoms were blood and reared its ugly head last february. i had given up smoking and was moving house. so stressed. The blood was on the paper and marbeled through the stool every bm.
I went to the GP and the 1st thing that was done was stool sample to test for bugs and wait 4 months for a colonoscopy. I had it in June.
the prep wasnt too bad. 2 nights of dulcolax and liquid diet the day b4.
The colonoscopy showed proctitis and they took several biopsies.
I had to wait another age for results of biopsies and it came back Ulcerative colitis.
Good luck in the scope. with your family history at least you'll have alot of understanding support.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
(female)

Jessi702 HB User

Thank you both so much. Its nice to hear about others symptoms and their c-scope. My stomach has been okay for this past 2 weeks, unless you call occacisonal contispated.
Were you given the go-lightly type stuff, or an overthecounter type meds. My GI wants me to do a liquid diet the day before, along with 5 Duclax stool softners and than Mirolax....I will have a few movies and some books on hand for tuesday, since my c-scope is on Wedensday.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi702 View Post
Thank you both so much. Its nice to hear about others symptoms and their c-scope. My stomach has been okay for this past 2 weeks, unless you call occacisonal contispated.
Were you given the go-lightly type stuff, or an overthecounter type meds. My GI wants me to do a liquid diet the day before, along with 5 Duclax stool softners and than Mirolax....I will have a few movies and some books on hand for tuesday, since my c-scope is on Wedensday.
No, they sent me out 6 dulcolax and 2 sachets of citra fleet.
boy i wasnt well,
i must of went to the bog 30 times at least,
it was a full cleanout. was completely wrecked and weak the day of the colonoscopy. i had mine on monday there. they only did the left side. the transverse colon looked ok anyway so they didnt need to go further.
i watched mine with no sedation and it was obvious that my colon wasnt well.
hope yours goes well today.
theyll be able to tell you right away what they see if you dont watch it yourself. id recommend it. it was a class exp.
let me know how you get on.

Ju

Old 07-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
(female)

Jessi702 HB User

Thanks so much juju...so the doctors office called to let me know my co-pay and man that about knocked me out. So I purchased all of my prep stuff. I firgured I would eat lightly tomorow since all day Tuesday I have to do the liquid . I just want to make sure I'm clean enough to be seen. Ill post wed after it and let you know how it goes.

Closed Thread