It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

Sheri91 HB User
severe pain

Ive been diagnosed with crohns for 3 years now, you name it I've taken it! I've not had any surgeries as of yet (touches wood)

Not had much luck the last few months. (I am originally from England now living in the states)
In April I went back to the Uk for a short period of time, during that time I started suffering what I could only describe as the most pain I have ever experienced in my life. It was like an attack under my left rib round my side and up to my left shoulder... I had a scan on my pancreas a chest X-ray all clear, my bloods showed what the told me was small inflammation until I returned again a couple of days later, they gave me tramadol ora-morph and a morphine patch and only then did the pain sit at bay they did a scope n said I was constipated and topped me up with a bunch of laxatives and I spent the next week waiting to have a bm before being discharged

I returned to the states at the end of may soon after ran out of both the morphine patches at tramadol, low and behold the pain returned! I've been living with it on a daily basis since

I was due to see my GI Wednesday n ask him to go in look around pull it out just fix it lol but silly hurricane issaac is on his way!

So anyway I have this horrible pain under my left rib sometimes it's like a pressure sometimes it's like a knot sometimes it's stabby (I think I have just got so used to being in agony) the pain still goes to my shoulder, I've noticed I burp a lot more now too, my urine sometimes is real dark, I hadnt told the dr before as I was on senna and antibiotics and both can do that... I get bad headaches, now I'm getting real bad joints and red eye too so I know my body is not happy!

But the pain is so confusing to me, im not constipated I am passing stool daily sometimes multiple times daily, could they have missed something on my pancreas? Could it be gallbladder even though it's on the left?
If anyone has experienced anything similar I would appreciate hearing about it just for my mental piece of mind! I'm so ready to be pain free
Damn this crohns disease and all it brings lol ive literally only just fought of a damn abscess too haha, just not been my lucky month

Sorry for the length & Tia!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: severe pain

Left upper quadrant pain can come from the spleen, especially if it is enlarged. Since Chrohn's is autoimmune, it is possible you are developing another autoimmune disease affecting your spleen. Your spleen is where red blood cells are broken down, and the breakdown can be excessive, which can cause the urine to be dark from bilirubin pigments. I would ask to have a urine check, for bilirubin and other abnormalities, have your spleen examined, some blood tests including a CBC, Coombs test for autoimmune breakdown of RBC, and ANA. Of course, Crohn's can cause bowel complications such as perforations, adhesions and obstructions, and an abdominal ultrasound may help sort some of that out. Keep us posted and I hope your Dr is thorough at checking this out.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
(male)

Lee Roy HB User

Sounds to me like u have adhesions have u ever had stomached surgery

Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
(female)

Sheri91 HB User

Thank you both for your replies I am hoping to reschedule my appointment next week and get to the bottom of it!!
My CBCs have been coming back normal but I shall ask him if he thinks he needs to do some further tests to check my spleen!

And nope never had surgery yet (touches wood) can adhesions occur without surgery? I'm not even too sure what they are lol I shall be on google again when my power is restored!

Thanks again

Closed Thread