It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
(female)

geezy HB User
Ibd

Hi everyone, I am new to this blog. I am a 36 yr old mother of three boys. Since April I have been experiencing diarrhea, nausea & adbominal pain. The nausea is the type of nausea associated with morning sickness. I had a total hysterctomy in 2007 so pregnancy is not an option. I had a colonoscopy two weeks ago that came back normal. My GI mentioned Crohns but said because the colonoscopy & biopsy came back normal she ruled it out. Then she ordered some blood work. I was prescribed Zotran, Nexium, Flagyl, & Cipro. I had an emergency room visit where a catscan was done using an IV and it showed mild thickening, a hiatal hernia, multiple nodes & was told to get a small bowel series. My dr just ordered blood work. Is it safe to say that Crohn's have been ruled out. Waking up to this feeling is miserable every morning & after I eat is the same thing. Any info is much appreciated.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Ibd

Hi..Crohn's can be happen anywhere in the digestive tract from mouth to anus...so I'd say it's not ruled out at this point. The doc ruled it out in your colon, however.

Where exactly was the thickening?

Are there plans to have the hiatal hernia repaired?

Did the doc have you do stool samples? and what's the reason she put you on the two antibiotics?

You definitely need to have a small bowel series, maybe be checked for celiac as well.

Dealing with and diagnosing digestive disorders can be a long process, unfortunately much is process of elimination.

I would suggest you get copies of all your test results..do you have the one of your c-scope?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

geezy HB User

The thickening was around the ileum. And she never said if she was gonna remove the hernia. She never took a stool sample and I'm guessing she put me on two antibiotics to clear up any inflammation if any. She told me my colonoscopy showed I had a perfect colon. I wake up every morning nauseated and with diarrhea, after I eat it gets worst.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

If there's inflammation caused by infection by chance, that's why the antibiotics. It won't take it down if it's inflammation caused by Crohn's without infection.

I would suggest you take probiotics as well at this point to make sure the antibiotics don't upset the flora of your colon.

The hiatal hernia could be part of the problem regarding your nausea after eating, it's usually a repair, not a removal.

I hope the upper bowel scope will show more.

I suggest you do lots of research on Crohn's and the tests involved. Make a list of questions for the doctor.

Please let me know how the other testing goes.
q

Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
(female)

geezy HB User

Thanks quincy. I've been trying to do as much research as possible to determine if Crohn's is what I really have. I am at my wits end. Hopefully this scope will confirm what ever is going on with my body. I'll keep you informed

The following user gives a hug of support to geezy:
quincy (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's a stressful and frustrating process living with the discomfort and the wondering....I've been through it (UC). Having access to info, while scary, at least has you able to formulate the questions.

Hang tough...thanks for the updates, it's appreciated.

q

Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
(male)

SickinNJ HB UserSickinNJ HB User

Geezy - Don't freak out. I am a man, so being prego was not an option for me. I went through the same thing 1 year ago next month. I was a mess for 3 months until I was diagnosed with UC. They took a c-scope and biopsy's and put me on meds. 5 months later I still felt like crap every day, felt emasculated and Quincy will tell you I was on the brink of depression.

I was consumed with finding out what was wrong with me UC , Crohn's .... everything under the sun. It made my mental state worse. Then I went for a second opinion because I felt like the meds should be making me feel better. The second opinion (new scope and biopsy) came back clean- not even scar tissue. I was miss diagnosed.

I have not taken a pill since May 25th 2012, and I have been perfectly fine. It took me 2 weeks to snap back into shape and I still have some off days, but it is more to the internal hemorrhoids that I developed while taking the meds and doing 9 trips to the bowl a day (for nothing BTW)

It can get better, be patient and make sure you get more then one opinion

Closed Thread