It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

Felicia HB User
My four year old daughter tested positive for Ulcerative Colitis

Hi, I'm new to this forum but i have a few questions that really need answers. My daughter is 4 years old and about a year ago she started having abdominal pains and she would run a fever only in her mid section though and she would be constipated sometimes and diarrhea with blood other times. I switched her pediatrician because i felt her pediatrician was not listening to me. Now she has a new doctor and he referred me to a pedi gastroenterologist. So on September 12, 2012 they did some kind of blood test and the lady said in her exact words "We tested her for Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis. The Crohn's was negative but the Ulcerative Colitis test was postive. It immediately turned the tube a different color." she also said that my baby pancreas enzymes were elevated. So yesterday October 12, 2012 (Friday) her gastroenterologist did a colonoscopy on her with a biopsy, but we wont get the results back until next week. I was told that the blood test for UC is not accurate and her diagnosis could be wrong. So My question is, Is the blood test for UC accurate and will the biopsy confirms if she has UC or will it tell whats wrong? My baby has been suffering for a year and she's so young, to young for this. This situation has really drained me to the core. Please answer if you have any idea or knowledge of what I'm saying.
Thanks,
Concerned Mommy

Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile Re: My four year old daughter tested positive for Ulcerative Colitis

Hi Felicia

Sorry to 'meet' you like this! I think there's nothing more upsetting than for our beloved children to be sick. It's such a helpless feeling! I am so sorry! As you now know, change doctors until one will listen. They are just human, and they aren't all equal.

Here is a good resource
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/colitis/

I don't have personal experience, but my daughter (grown now) has. Hers was diagnosed with a blood test. When I was born I was described as having colic, and always have problems at various times in my life, and I have to go back to bland foods, and there are other things very helpful to soothe the system. It isn't a cure, but best she learn now how to take care of her personal physical tendency.

Unless her life is threatened please don't let them do surgery. My daughter almost never has a problem now, nor do I. Even if she has an autoimmune disease there are things that can be done to bring down the inflammation and help facilitate healing that you may want to try before adding a regimen of drugs. we never had surgery or used the drugs.

First follow the advice for food in the link above...no caffeine, sodas, and for that matter no fruit juice. Avoid sugary drinks. Later on after her system is calmed down she can have an occasional cookie (no nuts). Not while she has bleeding ulcers in there. No spicey foods or food cooked in oil, butter or fats. They are hard on a raw digestive system. For now, avoid meats, grains and don't give her any raw vegetables. No cooked greens. They are all too harsh on her right now. Give her system a rest so it can heal.

If not allergic to these foods, right now she can eat fresh soft cooked apple with a very light sprinkle of honey or cinnamon, or with no flavoring. only use a little of cold-pressed olive oil, which is easy to digest. She can eat mashed banana (not too ripe or too green). Other soft cooked vegetables with a little olive oil are OK. such as soft cooked yams or sweet potatoes, white rice are soothing.

I am sorry I have an appointment, but rest assured there are some things you can do. I will get back to you. I will be praying for her and for you and the rest of the family. This affects all of you, I know.

Blessings and hugs.
TF

Last edited by Tree Frog; 10-16-2012 at 09:51 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tree Frog For This Useful Post:
Felicia (10-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
(female)

Felicia HB User
Smile Re: My four year old daughter tested positive for Ulcerative Colitis

Thanks for the information and advice it was really helpful!!

Last edited by Felicia; 10-16-2012 at 01:07 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Felicia:
Tree Frog (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Re: My four year old daughter tested positive for Ulcerative Colitis

Hi Felicia,

I'm back. You are welcome!

I forgot to mention, make sure to peel the apples. She shouldn't get roughage right now.

OK,some more info... regardless reasons why she has these problems there are things you can do for her that are not harmful, that soothes the entire digestive system & helps it relax so it can recover. It takes time. But my daughter had marked improvement in three days time. Every situation is different, so be patient.

I'm not a person that believes diet cures everything, but your daughter's diet is critical right now...from experience I know that stress uses up the B complex vitamins and that they are critical as they feed the nerves. Normally any over the counter B complex vitamin is fine, but when the digestive tract isn't working normally nutrients must be in a more natural and digestible form.

Brewer's yeast powder can be gotten in bulk from health food stores. You won't want to buy more than about a 1/4 pound at a time, as one takes a small amount per day. It is a food rich in naturally balanced B complex vitamins. It isn't wonderful tasting on it's own, but a 1/2 teaspoon of the powder sprinkled on mashed banana or steamed apple doesn't taste bad. You can give that to her once a day for two days, then twice a day until her gut settles down. Taking this daily is good for anyone, esp a stressed out mom. I take it mixed in orange juice.

Give her a good quality probiotic or acidophilus to rebalance the normal good VS bad bacteria in the gut. Ask for a knowledgeable person at a health food store to help you choose one. Give it to her as instructed. That too is good for all of us.

The other thing I recommend is food grade aloe vera juice, daily, and again it has healing qualities but is benign and won't do any harm. All of these can be bought at a health food store and don't cost much compared to the benefits.

She needs taught to take care of her body and not eat or hardly ever spicey, greasy foods again. Even if the body settles down when we are prone to a problem, such as a weak digestive system we have to take special care of it.

I say this, but don't always follow my own advice. Then I pay for it big time. Right now I am nauseated from too many rich or spicey meals and so seeing your post reminds me what I need to do.

I'm off to bake some sweet potatoes! By the way, real maple syrup tastes wonderful on them and it's good for us, too!

Please stay in touch and let us know how your daughter is doing and how you are holding up! I will keep on praying for her full recovery.

Oh, and plain yogurt is a good source of probiotics and also protein while she heals. Easy to digest. Don't get the sweetened kind. If you want you can added a little bit of honey, and can add fresh fruit you peeled and steamed yourself.

Last edited by Tree Frog; 10-16-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added more...

Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

Felicia HB User

Oh wow so much information. This is all new to me and I vow to do my best with her diet. Im really waiting on her biopsy to return, because i wanna give the cafeteria at her school a change of diet form but it has to be signed by her pedi gastroenterologist and he may not sign it if he don't know for sure if she has UC. It's taking forever to get the results!!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
(female)

Felicia HB User

Update on Kensie: Her biopsy results came back and she does have UC. It's not bad though, so they say, she's on prednisone and previcid. I'm praying for a complete healing though!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Felicia:
Tree Frog (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good for her!! I'm so glad. It makes recovery so much easier.

She can have plain store bought applesauce too, if it says there is no added sugar.
For protein give her poultry or fish...no lamb or pork and after her gut is healed, you can try low fat beef once a week and see how she does having it only occasionally.

Please let us know how she is doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tree Frog For This Useful Post:
Felicia (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
(female)

Felicia HB User

thanks Tree Frog. its weird tho becaus even though they say it mild she still complains of her tummy hurting. she has another appointment on November 14 though thank God and I will tell him everything I need too. It could be her pancreas. we will just have to wait and see.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
(female)

elizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB Userelizabeth62 HB User

My daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's 7 years ago. She got very thin and sick, before the diagnosis, but after they put her on prednisone for a short time, and she began to follow the diet in the book Breaking The Vicious Cycle and she has been symptom and drug free ever since. *knock wood* Sometimes she cheats and eats something that she shouldn't and she says that she can feel it, (stomach pain) so the diet appears to be working. I tell her not to cheat but I know it's hard to be perfect all of the time.

I wish your young daughter all the best!

Closed Thread