HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/crohns-disease-ulcerative-colitis/)
-   -   Desperate! Please help (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/crohns-disease-ulcerative-colitis/941608-desperate-please-help.html)

tmrj21706 03-06-2013 02:39 PM

Desperate! Please help

Doctor thinks I may have ulcerative colitis. My blood work came back normal. He checked liver and I think a CBC. Since its normal does this rule out ulcerative colitis? I'm on medronidazol and cipro and am seeing no improvement. I also have fibro. I'm going on 3 weeks now of this crap. No pun intended hehe I am at my wits end

kkohlman1 03-06-2013 06:11 PM

Re: Desperate! Please help

That doesnt really tell you anything...a colonoscopy,and biopsy will determine that..was this a GI doc? If not then see one...what are your symptoms?

tmrj21706 03-06-2013 07:27 PM

Hi. This is my pcp. He is running bloodwork and stool samples continuing the medronidazol and cipro and referring me to a gi doc. I have always had stomach trouble but the last 2.5-3 weeks I am going anywhere from 4-10+ times a day. Not diarrhea, just funny looking and funny smelling stools. They are almost like gummy worms my husband said to today's fluffy looking balls of poop. I have passed bloody mucus. Also green/yellow mucus. I have rectal pain at times during and even after bowel movements sometimes. The pain is almost unbearable. I have nausea, loss of appetite. I lost 3 lbs last week. I have only vomited once. I also have fibro. Gotta love it lol I think that's pretty much all my symptoms. I think haha

tmrj21706 03-06-2013 07:29 PM

Oh! And my stomach has been making loud gurgling sounds the whole time. That too is new for me.

tmrj21706 03-06-2013 07:30 PM

And my right side is swollen! At times it hurts and burns plumb into my back.

quincy 03-06-2013 09:58 PM

Hi...When are you getting your colonoscopy?

I hope you get the results of the stool samples soon. That should be a tell if you have any "invader bacteria" in there.

Your symptoms are definitely what I experienced....very painful and scary to say the least. Having you on the antibiotics initially could very well help if you have bacterial infection. It won't help if it's viral, however. How long have you been on the meds?

It sounds as though the inflammation is limited to just the rectum because you're not having diarrhea as of yet...that's the gummy worm stools. All the extra sounds and cramps would be from spasming and gas..the inflammation changes the signals and the communication from the lower part to the upper part. (peristalsis hissy fits ;-)
That's also what gives you the nausea and even the vomitting. You might even have some reflux too.

Diagnosing UC is usually a process of elimination. Blood tests can determine inflammation/infection levels, specific markers, low iron, B12, liver/kidney/pancreas enzyme levels, autoimmune, and on and on....but they will not tell if you have UC. They can lead in the direction of...

Stool samples should tell if you have infection, abnormal bacteria/virus/"invaders"/parasites/blood/white blood cells..etc. They won't tell if you have UC.

A colonoscopy should show if you visually have inflammation, excessive mucus, ulcers, bleeding, polyps, abnormal growths...etc. But it's not a conclusive diagnostic for UC.

Biopsies taken during the c-scope should show from pathological inspection if you have any cellular changes, abnormalities, precancer, active inflammation, chronic inflammation, structural changes, etc.
It's not a conclusive diagnostic necessarily for UC.

If the doctor suspects UC, there are other things that need to be ruled out initially. If the biopsies have cellular changes that are consistent with UC...then the diagnosis would probably be UC if it fits in with the pattern of UC. The pathology will not state it is .... only consistent with. The GI will usually diagnose that is is (based on what he has excluded as possibilities).

Of course, some patterns of CD can mimic UC when CD is in early stages...some cellular changes, etc can be in the grey area of indeterminate colitis...meaning it could be one or the other. if it's suspected that it's Crohn's...the doctor would more than likely send the patient for further testing to see if there are other areas of inflammation in the digestive tract..not only the colon. If there are, it's suspected that it would be CD and not UC. CD does involve deeper layers of the digestive tract...UC's involvement only goes as deep as the mucosal/submucosal and sometimes into the lamina propira.

Ihope you get your answers soon...there's nothing worse than the waiting. Diagnosis is almost a relief, at least for me it was. From there, then treatment.

Please do your research on the medications, etc. Have a list of questions ready for the GI...get copies of all your tests to date for this issue, from your GP.

Hang tough...it's a bumpy ride for sure.
q

elizabeth62 03-14-2013 03:36 AM

My daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's 7.5 years ago and put on steroids, where she got the "moon face" temporarily, then went on the scd - made her own yogurt, followed it to a t and she's remained in remission, drug free and symptom free for 7 years. She credits the diet because she says she feels different, if she cheats on it. And she'd been very sick! I'm now going to try the diet with my newly diagnosed, 16 year old (sweet!) son.

He just spent 6 days in the hospital and is now home eating only "legal" foods plus lots of Peptamen, which is NOT covered by our insurance and cost $8 per drink. Right now he is supposed to be drinking 6 per day for 2 or 3 months. It could be $5,000. But, he feels good and has started putting on weight! :)

Greengal04 03-17-2013 10:22 AM

I had "digestive issues" for years, had blood work and CT scans and no one could tell me what was wrong. All I knew was it kept getting worse and worse. It wasn't until I had a colonoscopy that my issue was finally diagnosed. I have Crohn's. The GI doc said I have probably had it since my 20s, I just didn't know it until I got the colonoscopy. The only way to know what is going on "up there" is to get one. They have to see it and take biopsies. If I hadn't done that I might never have known.

I still feel lousy some days, but at least now I know what I am dealing with and I can work with my GI doc to find a treatment plan that works. Knowing is far better than not knowing, and while it is not that pleasant, having a colonoscopy is really not that bad. It's worth it in the end.

tmrj21706 03-19-2013 09:31 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses! My email has been messed up so I did not know until now you had posted. Here's where I'm at right now. I been seeing the pcp who suspects crohns or uc. He sent me to what I thought was a gastro there in his office. That guy told me that my problems were from a 25mg pill daily of zoloft that I had been on since November to help with my fibro/anxiety. He then informed me he isn't a gastro doc, just family doc that does scopes. What?!?! I was livid. I thought he was an idiot. I knew it wasn't my meds and I was confident my pcp would feel the same I did. I took it upon myself to make appt with a real gastro doc one that my relative has used and really likes. I go see him on the 27th, next week. It can't get here soon enough. The idiot doc I seen did run labs and said all my labs were great. However I was also told my pharmacy friend and online research that my igg and my iga were low. So I'm not sure what's going on with those results nor do I know if they have anything to do with crohns or uc. My iga was 12.2 and my igg was 18.9. Does that mean anything to y'all? Lol labs all confirmed no infection no bacteria or anything. I ended up in er last night. Couldn't take it anymore. They gave me nausea and pain meds and told me to get to gastro ASAP and asked if I had ever been diagnosed with crohns or uc. WARNING-TMI- I also have some excruciating pain. Well you know, down there. During and after bm. Sometimes for an hour or so after even. I have 2 kids and let me tell you, whatever it is down there is causing excruciating pain. I've never felt it before. I also have inspected the situation and there is something there. Not sure what. Not sure if that is common in uc or crohns either. Any help or suggestions would be great. I feel like I am up against a wall and facing this alone. This has been ongoin since feb. 22 and it is not getting any better. This is my sons spring break. He is 7. My youngest is 4. They wanna do fun stuff. But thanks to me it isn't going well. Thanks so muh for listening to me and helping me out!! Any chance y'all are in oklahoma? Lol

ladybud 03-19-2013 10:34 PM

TMRJ, Perhaps you can call the GI office and get into a cancellation spot sooner since you are so sick and in such pain. Both Crohns and UC can cause mucus in the stools,(looks like clumps of egg white) and blood, along with the pain. I would also ask the GI Dr to check you for gluten sensitivity, as it may be related to inflammatory bowel disease. The IGA and IGG are immune globulins, like antibodies. When they are low it can make you prone to infection. I would expect those to be high in inflammation of GI tract. You might also ask to be checked for C Difficile, as that can cause severe diarrhea and pain, and can actually be caused by Cipro. That is a blood test your GP could run now, especially if still on the Cipro. It is a bacteria that produces a toxin that really irritates the intestine. You have been thru a lot! I would call the GI and beg/plead for an earlier appt. Please keep us posted.

tmrj21706 03-20-2013 05:24 AM

Thanks. I have already been tested for all those things an they were all negative. As far as getting into the gastro ASAP the one I want is off this week spending time with his family on springs break and I go see him next Wednesday. I would rather hold off till then and see the one I want and know is good rather just be thrown into te arms of any doc I know nothing about. When I see him in 27th though I am going to make sure he knows how desperate I am and see if he can get me in ASAP for the scope.