It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
(male)

DIAL HB User
New to this section,was just diagnosed with colitis

hello,

I am not new to this forum, but I am new to this section.
I am a disabled cop, and have been battling chronic health issues for 5 years.

I was just diagnosed with colitis. after some rectal bleeding and discomfort, I had a colonoscopy and the report came back with moderate colon inflammation. They took several biopsies, but told me they came back negative for both Ulcer colitis and crohn's. Now I am confused. I keep reading colitis is one or the other, but so far I seem to be in a grey zone with neither?

I have mucus, blood, bloating, gas, cramping, and worse of all, I get these spastic colon attacks where diarrhea comes on strong, causing me to strain uncontrollably, sometimes for hours. This has caused me to tear and get a fissure, along with a hemmroid. I am in a ton of pain. I can't even leave the house and run errands much.

I am going to try Asocal and Rewasa ( think that's what it is called) but I am nervous about the drugs. I never react well to medication ever since I have been chronically ill.

anyone have any advice or input for me?
thanks

Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: New to this section,was just diagnosed with colitis

Hi...colitis is a general term for colon inflammation. nothing more.
Biopsies don't state a diagnosis, just that they're consistent with whatever.

Did you have stool samples done as well?

Do you have a copy of your pathology results? if yes...would you mind to state the findings?

You are on a medication for an inflammatory bowel disease...and I'm very impressed it's both oral and rectal.

I've used Asacol and Salofalk (same as Rowasa) for over 24 years. Unless you're allergic to it, you're on one a very good medication that should help deal with the inflammation, and your symptoms will change/improve. Hopefully it won't take you too long to feel normal again...have patience.

Asking your doctor for a prescription of an antispasmodic will help...I use dicyclomine (started with 10mg).

You do need to make another list of questions for the doctor to answer. hang tough, it takes a while to get it all figured out.

q

Last edited by quincy; 04-04-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
(male)

DIAL HB User

no, they never took stool samples. Everything I read says inflammation of colon is either caused by crohn's or UC. I find it odd that I don't have either according to my doctor. Unless of course I can have non specific colitis.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

You NEED to get a copy of the biopsies results.

There are many reasons for "colitis" that would mimic UC or CD....

Get that copy. You don't have the answers you need/

q

Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
(male)

DIAL HB User

do you guys find that rewasa or asocol helps? Are these generally well tolerated?

Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
(male)

DIAL HB User

I've been asking the doctor to call me back. Im going to have to go in there I guess. He has the copies, and so far states is for sure colitis, however it may be early stages of UC. I want more info then that though. Do you guys find that Rewasa and asocol helps? are they well tolerated?

Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
(male)

DIAL HB User

the doc reviewed the biopsies and got the reports. he said its colitis, however it appears to not be UC or crohns. perhaps an early onset of UC. I will try to go in and see him for more info, he is not returning my calls. Do you guys find that Rowasa and asocol helps? are they well tolerated?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi..you need to ask him to send you a copy of the pathology report. It doesn't matter what he says, you should have it for your research.

I have UC, I've been on Asacol and Salofalk (just like Rowasa) for over 24 years. Yes, it helps.

q

Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
(male)

DIAL HB User

thanks quincy, I'll get a copy. Iwas curious is this is normal with colitis. Every now and then I get these severe episodes where I have these massive waves of bowl contractions. They come just like contractions, and they are strong. I end up on the toilet sometimes for hours. My stool comes out like ribbons, and it's always lots of little ones, its never full or bulky. By the time they stop, im am left severely sore and in mass pain. The last time this happened to me, I began to develop a hemmroid because the strain was so bad. I try to not strain, but I have no control.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, it's definitely a symptom of "colitis"....the term is tenesmus, and the ribbon stools are caused from tight rectum/sphincter and/or inflammation. I call them white-knucklers, and that's a huge distinguishing factor for flaring for me.

Are you using the meds the doc gave you?

Please ask him for an antispasmodic. It will help relax the spasming and give you some relief from the feelings. It won't help heal the inflammation.

Please let me know the results of the biopsies if you don't mind writing them out..

Hang tough...you are on good medications...for any colon/rectal inflammation.

q

Old 04-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
(male)

DIAL HB User

I haven't tried them yet.I was hoping to find a natural way to combat this. I don't handle meds well, so I use them as a last resort. I have hemorrhoids, an internal fissure, and colitis all at once, so I I do have a full plate on my hands.

I was looking into Nopal cactus to fight the inflammation and VSL#3 to balance the flora

Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
(male)

DIAL HB User

double post

Last edited by DIAL; 04-10-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

don't play too long without taking the meds....especially since you don't officially know what you have.

Definitely let me know what the biopsies state...I'm very interested
q

Reply Reply