It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
ct results, not sure what to think. need advice

Hi, I am 34 and have stomach issues for many years. I have had 3 colonoscopys and 2 endoscopys. my most recent one was less than a yr ago. It showed mild diffuse gastritis and a hiatal hernia. My stomach issues range. Usually have several bms a day and feel nauseated alot. I get lots of bloating and stomach rumbling. I tested negative for celiac but gonna go gluten free to see if it helps. My question is, I had a ct scan of my abdomen and it shows prominent fluid filled small bowel loop seen in the left lower to mid abdomen with normal appearance of the remaining bowel smd no evidence of obstruction. potential etiologies include gastroenteritis. I am confused because I wasnt having vomiting at the time....I was in the e.r 3 weeks prior with a stomach bug (i think)....I have been told all my biopsys are normal , no chrons or anything but she wants to treat the inflamation with a chrons med????? I have been diagnosed with ibs only thus far. I am so confused. I dont ever have blood in my stool or anything. is this chrons , should I see another doctor. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: ct results, not sure what to think.need advice

Even though you tested negative for celiac, many people have gluten allergy or intolerance without celiac disease that improves greatly on a gluten free diet. I am one of those myself. I could tell within a week of going gluten free that it was helping, and for sure within a month. Not everyone responds that fast but I think it would make sense to try. Where is your Dr, thinking the inflammation is, in the fluid filled loop? If you can hold off on the meds until you try the diet, that may be a reasonable approach. I guess it all depends on how sick you feel. If you do the diet change and the meds both at same time, it will be confusing as to which is helping if you respond well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Even though you tested negative for celiac, many people have gluten allergy or intolerance without celiac disease that improves greatly on a gluten free diet. I am one of those myself. I could tell within a week of going gluten free that it was helping, and for sure within a month. Not everyone responds that fast but I think it would make sense to try. Where is your Dr, thinking the inflammation is, in the fluid filled loop? If you can hold off on the meds until you try the diet, that may be a reasonable approach. I guess it all depends on how sick you feel. If you do the diet change and the meds both at same time, it will be confusing as to which is helping if you respond well.
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing! try the diet first. I got everything at the store to start it after this weekend. gonna be difficult at first. I am not really sure what gastroenteritis means.....She said inflammation. So I guess she thinks in the fluid filled loop, whatever that means! So confusing reading those reports! It also states that I have an appendicoloth and she said I will most likley get appendicitis because inflammation was also seen on the tip. ugh! I am so scared I might have ibd instead of ibs. I appreciate your response so much!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

With the appendix stone, it is important to be familiar with location of pain and symptoms of appendicitis, so you don't ignore those thinking it is IBS or IBD pain. If your usual pain is more central or around belly button, it will be easier to tell if RLQ pain from appendicitis starts up. If you have RLQ pain with the GI problem, you could even consider getting appendix taken out on an elective, scheduled basis when convenient, rather than risk an acute appendicitis occurring and having confusion about diagnosis. I hope the gluten elimination works to quiet down the inflammation. Did you have blood work done that included a sed rate or CRP (inflammatory markers)? The small bowel forms loops, but is usually not fluid filled, so that apparently is the site of inflammation. Gastroenteritis just means inflammation or infection of stomach, intestines, usually caused by viruses. Another test that can be helpful to rule out Crohn's is a small bowel follow thru xray, which shows up the mucosa or lining of the small bowel well.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Thank you. I do get lots of right sided pain. I am switching insurance at the moment so I am gonna see a surgeon soon about that issue. I had a normal crp a few months back and I had a negative ana test also.I will get the small bowel x-ray. I thought colonoscopy was the gold standard for diagnosing this?I feel very aloneand scared right now but gonna keep my head up till I have a definate answer. Thanks for your help.feeling a bit better now.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The small bowel follow-thru is an older test, but may be helpful for Crohn's and celiac, especially if the problem is higher in the small intestine than the colonoscopy can reach. You can have celiac disease with negative antibodies in serum. Nothing in medicine ever seems to be 100%, there are always exceptions to the rule to add to the confusion. Hope you get some answers soon and it's nothing serious.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, I wanted to update. I had the test done and it sucked! Had to drink lots of barium! yummy! it took a couple hours. The result was normal!!! Why the ct showed what it did, I dont know but no inflammation showed in the follow thru. Happy about that. where to go from here I am not sure.
thank you ladybud

Closed Thread