It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

mommyluvsjesus HB User
Air purifiers?

Hi there, my dd is 8 months, diagnosed at birth and we are obviously interested in doing everything we can to keep her healthy. We have some relatives that would like to buy us an air purifier for Christmas but I don't want them to buy it if it will be useless or dangerous for her. I sent an email to the clinic docs but haven't heard back yet. I've gotten info from a fellow CF mom who said that ionic purifiers are definitely not good. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
(male)

kwun HB User
Re: Air purifiers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyluvsjesus
Hi there, my dd is 8 months, diagnosed at birth and we are obviously interested in doing everything we can to keep her healthy. We have some relatives that would like to buy us an air purifier for Christmas but I don't want them to buy it if it will be useless or dangerous for her. I sent an email to the clinic docs but haven't heard back yet. I've gotten info from a fellow CF mom who said that ionic purifiers are definitely not good. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
air-purifiers are real good...if that's from Panasonic or Sharp(i mean the top model from them)...if your relatives really want to give you one, feel free to check out the top model number in your country and give the model number to them

the top models from panasonic or sharp are very safe, almost soundless, have a lot of advance function to clean airs eg positive and negative ion(plasma) and emyze to deactivate bacteria, 5 layers of filters such that air after filtration will be clean and sweet...please do a yahoo or google search for more information on models and functions

we have bought around 6 in my home...these purifiers are especially good for allergy to pollen, poor air, etc

don't get the ionic one and don't buy the USA brands, normally the US brand are more nose....must be panasonic or sharp to be souundless during sleep

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I posted info on about those ionic ones on the Asthma board. They are apparently dangerous because they release OZONE! into the air and can cause lung problems.

We got ours from family members who were going to buy us the one from sharper image and then read a report on them that said they didn't work unless you were about a foot away. Then I recently read the ozone article and was very very thankful they didn't get us one of those.

We use a whirlpool with a hepa filter. Think there are some other brands out there with the charcoal prefilter and hepa system, too that work great. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but ds's room smells fresher and the amount of junk that think pulls out of the air is downright scary.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
(female)

JustSmurfy HB User

I have one that is a Hepa filter with the charcoal prefilter. Its made by Kenmoore I believe. I think it does help.

I like the kenmoore one because the hepafilter is only changed like once a year and the charcoal one every 2 months. I had a different one before and both filters had to be changed every 3 months

Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Has anyone tried the UV system that you attach to your furnace blower. Think it's a UV light, similar to what they have at hospitals and it zaps the airparticles within the blower. They've got them at the local home improvement center for about $150. Just wondering if they work. We did have our airducts cleaned, but don't thiink it made a difference.

Closed Thread