It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 771
manchak99 HB User
cystic fibrosis screening when pregnant!

well......as some of you know i had my first appt last tuesday.....all the bloodwork, urine and pap was done as well as the first u/s although i was only 6 weeks at the time.

come back from lunch today and get a call from the ob. tried calling him back but he had left for a delivery! was terrified....told the nurse to have him call me asap as now i'm nervous...do i have cervical cancer, am i not producing enough hormones to keeep the baby? well...he called about an hour after that....told me not to worry but i tested as a carrier for cystic fibrosis...he could hear the shock and worry in my voice and kept reiterating not to worry...tells me that htis is very common and he sees this in 1-30 women. told me as long as my husband doesn't test positive, all will be fine. so...called our primary care dr and got him in tomorrow for his blood work. want him to tell the dr that we need this by next monday for my next appt (which isn't until tuesday but hey....my primary is slow!) i'm counting on my husband's genes to get us thru this! any one else get this news? i'm a bit calmer now but was frantic and crying at work......

 
Old 04-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5
woodward34 HB User
Re: cystic fibrosis screening when pregnant!

My brother has CF and is now 23 years young. I am not a carrier of the CF gene but my two sister are.

As it was explained to use, inorder to have a child with CF both parents need to test postive for the gene or one of the parents must have CF.

In your case you have tested positive for the CF gene. If your husband test positive it is still not a certainty that your child will have CF. There is a 1 in 4 or 25% chance your child will have CF. There is a 50% change you child will be a carrier of the Cf gene (just as you are) and a 25% chance he will not have CF and not be a carrier.

I hope this help take some of the worry out of your day. Just know that if your husband does test positive for the CF gene it is not a certanity your Child will have CF, only a 25% chance.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 26
manazoid HB User
Re: cystic fibrosis screening when pregnant!

i can understand your concern but the last poster is right. You both have to be carriers for there to be a chance of the baby being born with C.F. I have two stepsons with C.F. and it is a horrible disease to watch someone you love go through. My one stepson recived a double lung transplant at the age of 12 and he is still going strong today. [he is now 20] My other stepson passed away at age 15 from complications of C.F. So i knew my husband was a carrier and we were carefull but a surprise pregnancy happened and i was scared to death that i may to be a carrier. Thankfully i was not and my daughter was born healthy. But i would also like to add that I would not change having my stepsons in my life. They ment the world to me and they showed me what courage and strength really mean. There have been alot of advances in how C.F. is treated and the prognosis is much better today than it was a few years ago. Try not to worry and even if your husband tests posotive for the gene there is still only a chance of the baby having it.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Is this cystic acne? curly fry Acne 9 06-12-2010 01:23 AM
Cystic fibrosis, or withdrawal and extreme anxiety? ammadaeus General Health 2 01-13-2008 07:39 AM
Can symptoms of cystic fibrosis suddenly occur at the age of thirty? MaryLahree Cystic Fibrosis 3 08-05-2007 01:02 PM
10 weeks pregnant, positive test for Cystic Fibrosis girlwitstyle Pregnancy 4 07-24-2007 01:44 PM
cystic fibrosis screening results! manchak99 Pregnancy 4 04-19-2006 09:10 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Albuterol
Augmentin
Flonase
Pulmicort
Prednisone
  Tylenol Ultrase
Xopenex
Zantac
Zithromax




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Ratatosk (4), LadyGreenSleeves (1), sherry092 (1), Titchou (1), luckydraw (1), Hope1986 (1), pinstripe1981 (1), vampalicious (1), Jess mom (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (858), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (772), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!