It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
cystic fibrosis screening when pregnant!

well......as some of you know i had my first appt last tuesday.....all the bloodwork, urine and pap was done as well as the first u/s although i was only 6 weeks at the time.

come back from lunch today and get a call from the ob. tried calling him back but he had left for a delivery! was terrified....told the nurse to have him call me asap as now i'm nervous...do i have cervical cancer, am i not producing enough hormones to keeep the baby? well...he called about an hour after that....told me not to worry but i tested as a carrier for cystic fibrosis...he could hear the shock and worry in my voice and kept reiterating not to worry...tells me that htis is very common and he sees this in 1-30 women. told me as long as my husband doesn't test positive, all will be fine. so...called our primary care dr and got him in tomorrow for his blood work. want him to tell the dr that we need this by next monday for my next appt (which isn't until tuesday but hey....my primary is slow!) i'm counting on my husband's genes to get us thru this! any one else get this news? i'm a bit calmer now but was frantic and crying at work......

Old 04-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #2

woodward34 HB User
Re: cystic fibrosis screening when pregnant!

My brother has CF and is now 23 years young. I am not a carrier of the CF gene but my two sister are.

As it was explained to use, inorder to have a child with CF both parents need to test postive for the gene or one of the parents must have CF.

In your case you have tested positive for the CF gene. If your husband test positive it is still not a certainty that your child will have CF. There is a 1 in 4 or 25% chance your child will have CF. There is a 50% change you child will be a carrier of the Cf gene (just as you are) and a 25% chance he will not have CF and not be a carrier.

I hope this help take some of the worry out of your day. Just know that if your husband does test positive for the CF gene it is not a certanity your Child will have CF, only a 25% chance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

manazoid HB User
Re: cystic fibrosis screening when pregnant!

i can understand your concern but the last poster is right. You both have to be carriers for there to be a chance of the baby being born with C.F. I have two stepsons with C.F. and it is a horrible disease to watch someone you love go through. My one stepson recived a double lung transplant at the age of 12 and he is still going strong today. [he is now 20] My other stepson passed away at age 15 from complications of C.F. So i knew my husband was a carrier and we were carefull but a surprise pregnancy happened and i was scared to death that i may to be a carrier. Thankfully i was not and my daughter was born healthy. But i would also like to add that I would not change having my stepsons in my life. They ment the world to me and they showed me what courage and strength really mean. There have been alot of advances in how C.F. is treated and the prognosis is much better today than it was a few years ago. Try not to worry and even if your husband tests posotive for the gene there is still only a chance of the baby having it.

Closed Thread