It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

mommyluvsjesus HB User
Toddler snacking

Hi there, my dd with CF is now a year old and wants to eat ALL day. She is getting adequate enzymes and we have been working very closely with her dietician......her stools are pretty good and she's growing at the rate they want her too but she just wants to graze on stuff all the time. Does anyone else have this issue with their toddler or child? I have some fat free cereal puffs that I give her when she is really wanting something but other than that I'm trying to keep her on a strict every 4 hour diet where she sits down and has her enzymes and her full on meals. Just thought I could get some parent to parent help....Thanks

Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
(female)

dannysmom HB User
Re: Toddler snacking

My son is 22 months and he would snack all day long too if we let him. We try to stick to specific meal times, but if he sees anyone else eating he wants to eat too. I ususally give him some dry cereal in a bowl after his breakfast and lately he's been hiding it somewhere and then later in the day he'll be walking around eating it! I'm pretty sure that with most fruit you don't have to give enzymes so maybe a quick fruit snack would staisfy her? Maybe try feeding her every 3 hours? Is she just bored? I know when I'm bored or my older kids are bored they want to eat. Just some thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Before DS was a year old and I was still trying to figure out enzymes, I'd give him a snack of babyfood pears or bananas or fruit juice. Or once in a while a cracker or chip to gnaw on.

The doctors keep telling us not to worry about eating and weight. That toddlers are "Self regulating" and he'll eat what he needs to be eating. So I look at DS's grazing at "he's going thru a growth spurt and needs some extra calories". He's not a big snacker -- he pretty much knows the meal schedule, but if he's hungry, he's got his own snack cupboard where he can choose any number of things -- crackers, fruit snacks, canned fruit or applesauce.

He's not a big breakfast eater for us, so he gets carnation instant breakfast in the morning and then around 8 he eats breakfast at his daycare, then lunch at 11:30 and a snack at 2:30. Because we do his middle CPT and breathing treatment when we get home from work, I usually give him a package of fruit snacks in the car ride home and if he's on tobi he'll nibble on pretzels while nebbing.

On weekends, I let him graze 'cuz he still eats fairly well for his meals. And HIS idea of snacking is fresh fruit, applesauce, fresh veggies. Sometimes a few gummis or jelly beans. If given a choice for a snack -- ice cream, chocolate, cookies, honey nut cheerios -- he'll ask for a cup of applesauce and a glass of water every time. So in my situation, if DS specifically asks for something out of the ordinary for him -- something with more salt and calories, I figure his body is telling him he needs it.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

matt's mom HB User

Do kids with Cf feel more hunger than other children?

Old 04-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I've heard that some kids have voracious appetites. I'm still waiting for the day DS will eat his way thru a pancake feed or all you can eat buffet. DS is such a finicky, picky eater. Even as a newborn, we would struggle to get formula down him -- the dietician would tell us he required so many ounces of formula within a certain period of time, so many times a day and we struggled constantly.

Closed Thread