It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

Kian'sMom HB User
Question question about sweat test

Hi Everyone,

My 16 month old son had a sweat test done this morning. We already have the results back, and it was 12. This is good! However, after reading through the message boards, I got concerned when I read that steroids can lower the reading. My son takes Flovent (an inhaled steroid) four times a day. He also takes albuterol every 3 hours. Neither drug does anything for him, but his pulmonologist wants him on them for another couple months anyway.

My question is will inhaled steroids affect the sweat test as well? We took him off Prelone last May, so that should be out of his system.

My son started wheezing at 6 months, and it's getting slowly but steadily worse. So far, we haven't found a way of alleviating the wheezing/coughing/rattling. He had prolonged bronchiolitis in April-May, is never without a URI, and has a chronic wet, productive cough. He's had 8 chest x-rays, and they all show excessive fluid in his lungs. If you put your hands on his chest, he rattles constantly. However, he is in the 90th % for height and weight, but eats no solid food, and still gets much of his nutrition from formula. His stools are perfect. Two weeks ago, he had a nasal-laryngoscope inserted in his nose/throat to assess superficially if he is aspirating, and when the ENT dr. saw into his throat, all THREE drs. in the room inhaled sharply at all the mucus that was everywhere. Thus we were sent for a sweat test.

We are being seen at Mayo Clinic, so I trust they are accredited. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: question about sweat test

I guess for piece of mind, I'd push for a genetic blood test -- ambry or qwest. These test for hundreds of gene mutations. DS was one of those who had a normal sweat test at an accreditted CF facility -- his was a normal 32; however, because of other symptoms, loose stools, bowel obstruction, they did a blood test, which BTW was sent to Mayo. He tested positive for CF.

There are several genetic mutations of CF with little if no symptoms. Some people have sinus issue, some more related to digestion. I've heard of someone whose daughter was diagnosed thru newborn screening and they went back and tested an older child who'd never even had an ear infection -- she too tested positive for CF.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

Kian'sMom HB User

Are ear infections a sign of CF? Kian began having ear infections in May. After four eardrum ruptures over a 6 week period and sudden, significant hearing loss, he had tubes put in. Things have been good since, and his hearing has recovered.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Another thing to consider with sweat testing -- Mayo is not considered an accreditted CF Center. Think it's recommended that sweat testing be done at an accreddited center. In fact the top CF center in the nation is located about an hour north of Mayo.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

Kian'sMom HB User

Very interesting. Thank you. Our pediatrician already suggested we might want to consider letting her refer us to the U of M for a second opinion.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would strongly encourage you to do so.

Closed Thread