It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

mimibeth HB User
Please Describe This For Me

I keep eading infants with cf tend to have "greasy" stools. My 8wk old has had very odd sools consistently since 2wks old. Now his growth as all but stopped and we're being talked to about testing for cf. This is my 4th son and the first babe with this type of poo. i'v described it as quite mucousy- slimey almsot stringy instead of the seedy yellow that hsi brothers had. (exclusivly breastfed) It has often been green- more green than yellow, althogh yellow now. I've had oversupply issues (we think) which can cause the green poo- but even though the yellow has eturned the consistency is the same. Please help by describing what "greasy" "frothy" infant poo is typically like in babes with cf. (does it still smell foul if breastfed?)

thanks sooooo much for any information. i have no idea here.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
(female)

dannysmom HB User
Re: Please Describe This For Me

My son was diagnosed at birth and was started on enzymes right away so he never really had the chance to malabsorb his food. On occasion he has had some oily stools. Its like the oil seeps into the diaper lining and you can see oily spots on and through the diaper. When I wipe him, instead of having to rub the poo off, (TMI sorry) it wipes off very easily and you can see oil/grease on the wipe as well. The poo looks sort of shiny. I don't know how else to describe it, sorry. Also, my son was formula fed but I imagine that breastfed babies' poo would still smell bad if they are malabsorbing. Does your baby have large amounts/more frequent stools? Does he seem to have a lot of gas and abdominal distention? Do your lips taste salty after you kiss him?

What kind of testing are they talking about doing? Sweat test or blood test? If you do the sweat test it is important that you have it done at an accredited CF facility where they know how to properly administer the test. I don't have personal experience with the sweat test but I have heard that there can be false negatives but not false positives. If it is a blood test, they might start with the most common gene panel, but there are something like 1300 known CF mutations, which require a more extensive test.

Anyway, hope this helped you some. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
(female)

Wendy W HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimibeth
I keep eading infants with cf tend to have "greasy" stools. My 8wk old has had very odd sools consistently since 2wks old. Now his growth as all but stopped and we're being talked to about testing for cf. This is my 4th son and the first babe with this type of poo. i'v described it as quite mucousy- slimey almsot stringy instead of the seedy yellow that hsi brothers had. (exclusivly breastfed) It has often been green- more green than yellow, althogh yellow now. I've had oversupply issues (we think) which can cause the green poo- but even though the yellow has eturned the consistency is the same. Please help by describing what "greasy" "frothy" infant poo is typically like in babes with cf. (does it still smell foul if breastfed?)

thanks sooooo much for any information. i have no idea here.
Everyone with Cf is so different but my daughter's stools were as you descibed mucousy and slimey looking.They were also very fatty looking on the diaper. Usually a strange greeny colour with a very offensive smell. (We used to call it toxic waste LOL) My daughter started out breastfeeding but it was too much effort for her (She used to fall asleep with the effort) so she was feed formula from a fairly early age. From other CF babies that I have been around they still do tend to be smelly

Good luck

Wendy W

Old 10-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS was put on enzymes pretty much right away; however, before we got the dosage figured out it was frequent -- in the middle of a diaper change he'd sometimes poop once, twice, 3 times. Bleah! And they were yellowish green -- not really foamy, but fluffy -- like some body lotions. Basically, not well formed. and he was on formula and sometimes they smelled like feta cheese.

Closed Thread