It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

momwantsanswers HB User
Question don't know what to think

My son will be 10yrs old this month and just went through two sweat tests. His first one should a borderline signs of CF I have not gotten the second test back yet. I was told that this sweat test is the golden test to rule CF in or out so I do not understand why he has to go through a second one. Another thing that I do not understand is why we are picking up on this so late in his life. After reading about CF he shows some signs to having it but not all. Can the second test come out negative and if it does will we have to go through a third one. I am very confused and scared.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: don't know what to think

For your own peace of mind, I would suggest requesting a genetic blood test. DS passed his sweat test with flying colors --- a normal 32, so not even borderline. So for months in the back of my mind, I kept thinking that the doctors were wrong that he didn't have CF. Even though a blood test taken by another doctor showed otherwise.

Could be that your son, if he does have CF, has a mutation that has milder symptoms -- maybe not so much pancreatic issues, but lung issues that show up more as asthma. There are lots of CFers who aren't diagnosed until they're adults.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

momwantsanswers HB User
Re: don't know what to think

Thank you for the advice. We have to go and see his doctor tomorrow because the first test came up positive on the low end and the second one we just got the results back were on the high end of negative. It would be nice to take the worry away completely and start on a path of recovery instead of him being poked and *****ed at. I as a mother feel horrible about what he is going threw and I will definatly demand a blood test to rule any CF out.

Thanks Again!!!

Closed Thread