It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User
Greasy Stool?

Ive seen it mentioned many times that a symptom of cf in infants is greasy bowel movements along with frequency, colour and foul smell.

Im curious exactly what does 'greasy' stool look like?

And what sort of foul smell is it likely to be?

Thanks for any advice

Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Greasy Stool?

Shiny -- as if oil was poured over it. When DS was on formula, his tended to smell like feta cheese (sorry tmi) and was almost a creamy, fluffy consistency.

Looser stools. "not well formed"

There's also the float test -- now that DS is potty trained, if he's malaborbing, his poo tends to float and sometimes it looks as if there's an oil slick on top of the water.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

Hmm... ok ty for the advice.

There is something that is just 'off' about my baby son. I cant quite pin point it but I can just feel theres something not right. His poo is similar to what youre describing and he has heaps more a day than hes supposed to, hes had a urinary infection, his eating and weight gain is all over the place - sometimes really good and he gains heaps and the next week he refuses to eat and wont gain any.

Hes almost 2 months old, and since the week he was born I just cant get the idea of it being cf out of my head. He did have the newborn screen test though - and evidently it didnt show up anything.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
(female)

cindygal HB User

Any tests been done?

Old 03-28-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

No tests have been done aside from the newborn screen. It says it picks up 95% of cases. Hes not sick or showing any sysmptoms really. I think his stool looks wet and shiny and he still goes4-6 times a day (hes 3 months old and fully breastfed). Ive been told his stool looks like breastfed stool but his dirty nappies should have slowed down a month ago. He also gets mucousy in his chest. It comes and goes, in a matter of minutes. One minute he will be fine then all of a sudden gets mucousy then after 5 min or so he will be fine again. I think his stool smell bad, not like i remember my first ds at all, but again Ive been assured they smell normal for a breastfed baby so I dont know. There is no family history on either side. So I just dont know.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

No family history here. Does he taste salty? When you kiss him on the forehead, do your lips taste salty? DS has more bowel issues, because he's pancreatic insufficient and requires digestive enzymes; however, he also has one of most common mutations, too.

I'd also heard that breast milk actually has enzymes in it, so the stools of bf babies aren't as bad as formula fed babies. That's apparently not the case with you. But I've heard from a couple of people that when they started whole milk or formula, there were increased problems with loose stools.

If you feel things just aren't right. Push for additional testing.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 03-28-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #7
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

He doesnt taste salty anywhere, But, his feet are always sweaty even when theyre cold. Anyone else experience that?

Closed Thread