It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

behindtheseeyes HB User
my friend has cf

When i was 15 i made friends with a guy with cf,we dated for a while but it diddnt work out so now were just close friends.We`ve always talked about his condition openly,he takes his meds infrotn of me and we try to make it as light hearted a situation as possible.However one day I was in school talking to a girl about my friend and she said ,oh my god he`s 20,my mams friends boy has cf and he will only live to 21.I told my friend with cf what had been said but diddnt directly ask him if it was true or not.All he said was dont worry im not going any where.Im so confused,whats the life span with someone with cf?i read somewhere it was late 20`s max-is this the case for all sufferers?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
(female)

manazoid HB User
Re: my friend has cf

The average life span of someone with cf is 33. But this is just a general guideline. With all of the advances in medicine, many people are living way beyond the expectancy. Both of my stepsons have cf. My youngest stepson was expected to not make it past his 10th birthday. He was on life support twice, had three heart attacks and was on full time oxygen for three years. He was put on the transplant list and recieved a double lung transplant at the age of 12. He is now 21 and has been able to live a fairly normal life for the past 9 years. My older stepson was also very ill with his cf. He was also placed on the transplant list but sadly he passed away when he was 15. So as you can see cf affects everyone differently. It sounds like your friend is quite open with you about his cf so if you have questions for him im sure he would be glad to answer them. I found it helpfull with my stepsons that if there was something i was unsure about, I would ask their doctor, or if that was not an option, I would research it online. The cystic fibrosis foundation have many chapters all over canada and the u.s. You could phone your local chapter and get answers to many questions as well. What he needs the most is people that care about him and support him no matter what. It sounds to me like you are a very good friend to him and im sure he appriceates your support. I hope I helped and I will keep your friend in my prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
(female)

behindtheseeyes HB User
Re: my friend has cf

Hiya ,thank you so much for your reply,it was very helpfull and extremely kind of you to share your information with me.I am very sorry to hear about your eldest son but glad to hear your other son is now doing well,i cant imagine what you must have been through however although Im sure it is very tough coping with such grief.
I am going to look into the condition further,I think its my duty too be more aware and then I maybe wont recieve such a nasty shock in future.
thanks again for your reply and best wishes to you and your family.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
(female)

vikilacho86 HB User
Smile Re: my friend has cf

Not to worry, all you need to make sure to tell him the closest thing to a cure would be to do Hypertonic Saline 7% 3 times a day. I usually take 3ML each time.
He will feel better in no time.

Closed Thread