It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
(male)

mrdave HB User
CF test question

Hi,

For some reason, I had a test for trypsin and it came back high. The normal range is 10-57 and mine was 72.4. So i did a search on the net for what that high results mean and it said it could be CF or Pancrease problems. So I was wondering did any of you that know for sure you have CF have this test and if so what was your result? I am trying to figure out how high, high has to be to be considered a sign of CF.

I know cf effects the lungs mostly but sometimes the digestive system and that is what got me this test in the first place.

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
(female)

Aidens Mommy HB User
Re: CF test question

Any high IRT level could signal CF but is not a diagnosis of CF. Elevated Trypsin or Trypsinogen levels are a flag for pancreatic problems. Only a sweat test or genetic analysis test can diagnose the disease. My son had IRT level in the high 100's and then in the 200's on the second test as a newborn. He then had a chloride level of 95 on the sweat test which confirmed CF.

I don't think that anyone can answer whether or not you're more or less likely to have CF based on the actual trypsin level. But, it is telling you that you should pursue further testing- most likely you'll be referred to a lab for a sweat test, if your doc suspects CF.

PS... CF does affect the lungs, and it also affects the digestive system, not just sometimes. It affects other things too- sweat, reproductive system, liver, any organ or system of the body that has ducts that can be blocked by the thick mucous produced by the lack of chloride transfer through cells.

Hope that helps! And, good luck on your testing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread