It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

Evelyn02 HB User
sweat conductivity?

Hello..new here..my 2 1/2 year old with multiple health issues just had a sweat conductivity(nanoduct)with a result of 57..reference values are different than sweat chloride...anyone with experience with this test? Doctor said it's normal. I did tell him I was uncomfortable with this number but he assures me it's normal and is ruling out CF. She does have chronic resp. inf. and tastes salty. any info would be great! thanks!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: sweat conductivity?

From what I understand -- 40-60 is considered borderline. Was the test taken at an accreditted facility?

Also, DS' was done at an accreditted CF facility -- his was a normal 32. And he has CF -- two copies of delta f508. Push for more testing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
(female)

Evelyn02 HB User

Thank you for replying! No..it's not an accredited facility. The manufacturer states 60-80 as borderling..not a sweat chloride but a sweat conductivity. according literature that I find online CF foundation recommends using 50 or higher as borderline for that particular test and they don't use it in their CF centers. I'll be speaking with her pediatrician today....we want a retest at a CF center about 3 hours away. This is nagging at me although she is actually having a good week....no cough, no resp. difficulty at all. On thing though..never thought too much about it but stool is always soft...light yellow for about 4 days last week...not on any meds at time or sick.? Every experience this with a toddler? Has a BM right away after eats? Normal? You know how weird babies are with BM so didn't give it too much thought. Sometimes it's been bright green. Just when I think of getting worried it changes back. Am I crazy?!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS is pancreatic insufficient, which includes a large percentage of cfers. He requires digestive enzymes to process fats and proteins otherwise he has very loose stools. He was born with a bowel obstruction caused by meconium illeus (sticky, green, tarlike stools) and needed surgery asap. We work very hard to keep him above the 50th percentile in weight, so he gets high calorie foods, fats. Does your child have issues maintaining weight -- failure to thrive? Sometimes shiny, greasy looking stools? When DS was on formula and didn't get enough enzymes his stools were "fluffy, greenish yellow and smelled sorta like feta cheese". Sorry if TMI. Sometimes, now that he's on regular table food he'll eat something higher in fat and will have orange drops of oil/grease in the toilet. And yes, when he was an infant, he'd poo right after eating (I thought most babies did that); however, sometimes he'd go 2-3 times DURING the diaper change, too.

You're not crazy. You're a concerned parent who NEEDS answers. I belive there are a couple different genetic testing companies -- ambry amplified and quest (sp) -- which test over 1500 genetic mutations! Your doctor can order those tests and have them sent out to the company.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 01-03-2008 at 06:52 AM.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

Evelyn02 HB User

Thanks for the info...and no not TMI!! Our doctor agreed wholeheartedly with me to refer my daughter to an accredited CF care center....She is very low in the percentile for weight...not sure right now what it is...below 20%. I feel relieved to be going to the experts...we'll see a pulmonologist so even if it's not CF she can have her resp. issues looked after. So I will request sweat chloride and genetic blood test. thanks again!

Closed Thread