It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

Taylor33 HB User
First time posting

Hi, this is my first time posting. I have a five and a half month old daughter with CF. We go to the CF clinic every three months, but we have also started to see a nationaly certified naturopathic doctor who I have been impressed with. Has anyone had any experiences with natural supplements being helpful? I have read about one particular thing that is supposed to kill many bacteria. (Dont want it to look like Im trying to endorse anything, Im just trying to find answers) Im so scared, and I want to do anything to help my baby.

Last edited by Taylor33; 07-02-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
(female)

sunny88 HB User
Re: Naturopathic Doctors do they help?

Hi, I have a 4 year old daughter with CF. From 4 months old I have been giving her 5mls of colloidal minerals a day and 7.5mls morning and evening of flaxseed oil (essential fatty acids). I don't give her junk food only wholesome foods. I don't give her any dairy as I find it very mucus forming. She has never been under weight . Her height and weight are at the top end of the scale. She's had pseudomona once and had to go into hospital for 2 weeks of IV antibiotics then 3 months of nebulized antibiotics. The pseudomona was gone after this. When she finished her antibiotics I started researching about nebulizing colloidal silver. I did a lot of research on this and my father and brother use it when they feel a cold coming on and I now also take it. Only my daughter has CF but we've all brought our own nebulizers so we can also use it. She's been nebulizing now for 6 months and her health has been great. I would never give my daughter something I wouldn't take myself. Everything she's on, I also take. I take a 2 sided approach, I do everything medically when needed but I don't rely solely on what doctors say. When she was young doctors asked me to put her in studies of new drugs and there was no way I would let my child be a guinea pig with drugs that no one new about. Silver has been around a long time even before antibiotics were invented. NOTE; IF colloidal silver was even suspected of being unsafe or harmful it would have been banned long ago! The FDA has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AGAINST colloidal silver itself! Their 'position' is entirely against those not complying with all the rules and regulations in the marketing, promotion and distribution of colloidal silver. I just researched and found one that was very small in particle size. The hospital pharmacist checked it and said that the particle's were so small that it would be fine to take orally. The man that went blue made his own silver at home which had very large silver particles. He drank a few bottles a day and also rubbed it into his skin and went in ultra violet sun beds. My daughter has 4ml nebulized for 15min daily. I'm not endorsing it but I can only say that it's helped in our situation and I'm glad I did my research.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
(female)

Taylor33 HB User

I dont know if you will believe this, but today I prayed for an answer about using silver. We have been using it since my daugter was 4 months old. I did my research after she cultured staph and I have been wondering if it was the right choice to be giving her silver in her nebulizer. Its tough out here for people who have kids with semi rare diseases, and the answers are sometimes hard to find and trust. THANK YOU for this reply. I also want you to know almost a year ago I was taking notes on everything you were doing for your daughter. Because of you I give her flax oil and the healthiest diet I possibly can. I needed answers, and it sounded like your daughter was doing great, so I set out to do what you were doing. Im so glad to be able to say thank you for posting!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
(female)

sunny88 HB User

Hi Taylor, I'm glad I can share my story and the journey I'm on with my daughter. It's helps to hear about what other mums are going through too. If you google "doctors using colloidal silver" you'll find a lot a information on the history of silver and doctors that use it for many things. But unfortunately many doctors wont listen. There's no money for the drug companies if they prescribe silver. It's all about money at the end of the day!! From what I know Silver has to touch bacteria,virus's, pathogens then it will kill what it touches. So learning to breathe long slow deep breaths will get it deep in the lungs. The silver I use is very small in particle size (99.95%)silver particles,ranging between 0.001-0005 microns,between 9-14mg/L, suspended in distilled mountain water. I was told if you put a red laser beam through the glass bottle of silver without shaking it , there should be a solid line going through it. If the laser is broken or not solid then the silver particles are too big. The best thing is to really do your research and find the right one. My daughter had a cough during the night a few days ago, just a cold but I didn't want it to progress so the next morning I did her percussion then nebulized the silver and that evening I did the silver again. By the next morning she was nearly over her cold. My daughter has the most common form of CF- DF508 x2 and in her 4 and a half years of life she's only been on antibiotics once. I think having a healthy diet rich in good fats (nuts, avocado's, good oils) and if possible cutting out as much dairy or all dairy then they won't produce much mucus in their lungs. I know the doctor's prescribe a high calorie diet but it's not very nutritional. I'd much rather give her good healthy fats. Now that I've discovered the silver and am using it daily I feel quite positive. The longer I can keep her off antibiotics the better. The body cannot become resistant to silver like it can in long term antibiotic use and silver doesn't affect the good bacteria in the body so there's no need for acidolphilous. My journey is one day at a time and I don't know what's ahead but I'm always optimistic about the future.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

Taylor33 HB User

Thanks for the info on the silver. I have been using Natures Sunshine brand. May I ask what brand you are using? The bottle says 90mcg (18ppm) of pure silver (collodial and ionic). I remember our ND saying the particles were small enough, but I should probably research it anyway. I agree with you on the use of good fats, and my daughter has drank goats milk since she was four months old. I noticed a change in her digestion immediately. I also agree that money plays a large roll in what is and isnt recommended in the medical world. Im careful about discussing silver with them. I want to know Im getting the truth when they tell me her culture results. I may be over the top about it, but who knows what people will do when money is involved.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
(female)

sunny88 HB User

I agree with you there. Some doctor's are so close minded and it's their way or no way. When I told her doctors that I was going to nebulize her colloidal silver they were strongly against it and used scare tactics on me. Making me feel like I was going to hurt my child! They gave me a medical write up (by the drug companies)on how bad silver was and that you'll go blue etc... This was when she was in hospital getting heavy doses of antibiotics.I then asked for information on the drugs they were giving her and they said they'd organize it (which they didn't). When I got home I researched the drugs she was being given in hospital and some of the side effects were scary to read. But they don't tell you anything about them when they give our children these. We also have to research the drugs the doctors are giving our children so we are informed in this area too. Like I said earlier everything natural I give her I also take and I research throughly. I myself nebulize silver. It's all about empowering ourselves and doing the research.If she has to have antibiotics then I'll give them to her, I'm thankful she's only needed them once but I'm hopeful that the silver will help prevent Staph and maybe hold back Pseudomona . There are a lot of open minded medical doctors using it for many things eg: aids, cancer, respiratory conditions etc... and the success they've had with their patients (with no side effects) is quite astounding. I guess there are a lot of different silvers out there and it's finding the right one that has the smallest silver particles. From what I know the main test is putting a laser beam through the bottle (do not shake it first) , and if the beam is solid then it's a good silver.Take a little red laser beam with you when testing different bottles of silver. I use a brand made in Australia. It's called The Original Colloidal Silver.( There's a book out called COLLOIDAL SILVER, The Hidden Truths. By Keith Courtenay. ) It's a good read. Like your daughter I found goats milk to be great too. If we can help our children with the 2 sided approach natural / medical then it can only benefit them in the long run.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
(female)

Irishmom HB User

Hi Sunny n Taylor (sounds like a cop show!). delighted to read your mails, I recently read research done and ongoing in University of Leicester, UK about silver and its reported great results in treating cf, mrsa amongst others with silver. google under uni of leicester and nanoparticles silver. it's hugely encouraging. I also read both your mails sometime ago when my daughter was diagnosed about diet etc. I too felt it was odd to be giving such an unhealthy dairy fuelled diet and have used healthier versions whenever poss - also going the goats milk route which i find brilliant.v. interested in nebulising the silver, I have the brand that you have TAylor. would you use it on a daily basis then or on a needs based basis? my little un had very scanty pseudomonas in nov but all clear since and always in great form and health which may sound weird but she showed no clinical signs of being sick.I'm with you 100% on being informed, empowered etc etc. thanks for all the info sunny and great to get the lowdown on another country's handling or mishandling in some cases! Ireland has the highest incidence of cf worldwide but we are currently sadly lacking in our services and handling of it. I am however, optimistic that this will change over the coming years and like yourselves, anything that will help - natural, medical and combination of the both feels the right way to go for me too, its all about informing yourself and questioning and not blindly following, believing what the docs say. and without a doubt your are correct in your opinion of it's all about the money and the pharma companies. Best to us all! isn't it a pity we don't live closer to each other and could hook up for a big old chat!!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
(female)

Irishmom HB User

Just FYI, this is from the BBC website on foot of the press release about silver research:

Last Updated: Thursday, 30 March 2006, 21:30 GMT 22:30 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
"Silver bullets" could blast MRSA
Medical experts in Leicester say treatment using silver could help to prevent MRSA, cystic fibrosis and Aids.

Researchers at the University of Leicester are developing pills dubbed "silver bullets" for potential use by patients.

Silver is already used in some household products because it is highly toxic to a wide range of bacteria.

Researchers say they must still overcome some technical issues before the treatment becomes effective.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
(female)

sunny88 HB User

Hi Irishmom, thanks for the info. Will check it out. It's great that we're all out there doing our research. It would be nice if we lived closer to each other and could catch up for a big chit chat. I guess this is the next best thing for parents and CF's sharing their own personal journey..

Last edited by sunny88; 02-18-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
(female)

sunny88 HB User

At the end of the day I'm not telling anyone to nebulize colloidal silver, this is an open forum and I'm sharing my journey, I've done my own personal research and it's helping in my situation. I'm glad I've empowered myself with more knowledge. I know some people will not like what I've written but I'm free to express my situation...

Old 02-19-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
(female)

Irishmom HB User

Hi all, yes sunny I take your point, we're all just sharing so nobody is advocating something that mightn't work for another. by the way, I had contacted the professor at uni of leicester who was doing that research and he replied just today. unfortunately they have stopped the research on colloidal silver due to lack of funding. he did however, confirm the laser beam advice that you had been given regarding the size of the particles, if it produces the clear line then the particles are usually small enough.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
(female)

Taylor33 HB User

Hi all, I think I forgot to tell you that the silver shield I use is also 90mcg, Irishmom. I have to find our laser, its in the garage! My little ones results were all good. Im very thankful for that. Her liver level is now on the high end of normal. Im going to give her Milk thistle to help detoxify. The nurse said they usually dont get concerned unless the levels triple. I was thinking that was one of the craziest things Id ever heard. I swear it seems like we are all about fixing and not preventing here in the States! Maybe I just dont know enough about it, but trying to nip something before it gets out of hand seems like the common sense approach. Bye for now!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
(female)

sunny88 HB User

Hi, just wanted to write a quick post. Took my 4yr old daughter for her 3 monthly check up and all was great. She had a cold when we went up so I was really interested in seeing if any thing came back in her sputum sample (all was clear). I really think this silver is working in conjunction with alot of physio and exercise. She's getting colds from pre-school as all children do but it never progresses to a bacterial stage ( no staph). We're coming into winter now and lots of colds going around, if she get's through winter with no bacteria in her lungs, I'll be very happy. She's been on the nebulized silver now for over 6 months, she has 4ml once a day after her 20 mins of percussion. It seems to be working (hasn't needed any antibiotics). I guess time will tell but so far so good. Will keep you posted.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #14
(female)

Taylor33 HB User

That is so great! Springtime is beginning here, and I am so relieved. Im guessing your winters are more pleasant than ours, though. My little girl had a cough about a month ago, and her cultures were clear as well. We do the same thing you do at night. Have you heard of the silver gel that can be put on topically? Before we go out to play I put a little on her hands, and around her nostrils. It is also made by Natures Sunshine, but there may be other manufacturers. Hope you have a happy and healthy winter season.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #15
(female)

sunny88 HB User

It's good to hear your daughter is doing well too. I haven't heard of the silver gel but will definately look it up. Your right, our winter's arn't to bad here but there always seems to be alot of colds going around. All the best over spring/ summer, will keep in touch.

Closed Thread