It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
(female)

dolphins HB User
Possible CF?

Hi all, this came up for me a little over 18 months ago where the dr I was seeing thought I had CF. At the time I was diagnosed with type one diabetes but she thought the way it came on was more like CFRD.
I've had asthma since I was 14 (24 now), mostly comes on bad with colds and lung infections, a lot of the time the infections got to my chest and for weeks it really is almost like having my lungs drown in mucus. I've been admitted to hospital I think 17 times now, so it isn't mild. Atm I take seretide, ventolin and atrovent for my asthma.
I had the sweat test, GP got the results and it was normal.

Now for the last 5 months or so I've had fatty/oil like stool, was put on a meal plan by my dietician but didn't gain weight as was expected (I'm underweight at 38kg 156cm). I finally went to get a fecal fat test and my endo said it showed a high amount of fat in the stool and that is the reason I'm not gaining any weight or lose weight easily (I saw the report and all it said was +++ fat globules). However, I had a typsin or tryptic activity stool test that was normal, came back positive.
My endo did start enquiring about my asthma symptoms + when I was diagnosed so I know she is thinking down that track again (CF). She also said I'll definitely be put on creon, it just depends on what the gastro dr wants to do (i.e. run more tests).
I was just wondering, could this be CF or something completely different?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Possible CF?

You do have a lot of similar symptoms. As more and more genetic mutations are being discovered, more and more people are finding that they do in fact have CF. There are over 1500 mutations. Some people become pancreatic insufficient over time and need to start taking digestive enzymes.

I'm kinda cynical about the sweat test being that DS' was normal. At least it sounds as if they're treating the symtpoms as if it is CF -- creons, bronchiodialators. Have they done a sputum culture to see if you're growing any common CF bugs such as pseudomonas?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

dolphins HB User
Re: Possible CF?

Hi,

Thank-you for your reply. My endocrinologist mailed me a prescription for creon forte so I start it today. Re: the bronchodilators (ventolin and atrovent) have been taking them as needed for nearly 11 years now as well as inhaled steroids, just the addition of creon is a new thing. I haven't had any sputum cultures but she did send out a pathology form to have CF genetic testing done, so I guess that will give a definite answer.

Closed Thread