It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

Bethg1796 HB User
cystic fibrosis

my 12 year old daugher has asthma, and at a routine allergy test the allergist found nasal polyps in her nose. I took her for a sweat chloride test and she tested borderline, but they did not tell me the actual #. Now she has to go for a genetic test. What are the chances of it being CF? How worried should I be??????????????

Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

Taylor33 HB User
Re: cystic fibrosis

Hi, Beth. Unfortunately I cant answer your question about the chances of it being CF, but I think I know how you're feeling while you wait to find out. I just wanted to say I'll be praying that it is not CF, and if it is, that you will find encouragement in knowing that there is hope. When my daughter was diagnosed I was devastated, and Im still working through it day by day, but there are many more medications available that can help treat this disease than there used to be. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Not sure what the chances are... I will say that sweat tests can show a false NEGATIVE, but I believe it's quite rare for there to be a false positive. My son had a normal 32 -- Borderline I believe is 40-60. Genetic testing is the only way to find out and an amplified test rather than just testing for the most common mutations. There are over 1500 identified CF genes.

I do know of individuals who've been diagnosed as teens or even adults after dealing with ashtma, bowel issues, sinus issues for years.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 10-06-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

melissah82 HB User

I know this is tough to handle at this time. However I am not certain of the numbers. I am a respiratory therapist and I see a lot o CF patients. If the CF is positive don't worry to much. The greatest thing about now is that with proper treatment and good home management the chances of her doing well and living a "normal" live are pretty good. Keep your head up.

Closed Thread