It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

lissajane22 HB User
High Respiratory Rate

My son is 5 months old with CF and has a respiratory rate of between 95-108 during the day. This can't be normal. It has always seemed fast to me since he has been born, but lately it has seemed worse. We noticed his chest looking almost concave while giving him a bath. He doesn't act any different, his lungs sound clear, and he isn't turning blue or purple.
At night when sleeping the rate decreases to about 70. Still high..but better. Any thoughts?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: High Respiratory Rate

I remember being instructed by DS' doctor to count breaths at rest -- usually if it was fast it meant he was coming down with something -- usually it was an ear infection and other than decreased eating that was the only sign -- fever maybe came later and then the respiratory rate would really increase.

I also seem to recall when he was recovering from bronchitis at 3 months the doctor said something about air trapping. We kept up doing CPT 4 times a day for a long time and when he got sick as well to beat that cough/wheeze/cold out of him.

Is he congested at all? RSV can also cause a very high respiratory rate.

Normal Respiratory rates should be: Infant (birth–1 year) 30–60, Toddler (1–3 years) 24–40, Preschooler (3–6 years) 22–34

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
(male)

gent1 HB User

Took him in today for a repeat throat culture (had pseudomonas a month ago). They also took a nose swab for RSV. We will find out the results on Friday. Took another chest x-ray as well for comparison and it didn't look much different from last time.
They were at a loss as to the high respiratory rate, but looked in his ears and said something is probably coming (some virus, etc...). One ear is looking fluid filled. We are just going to wait it out and hope he doesn't get a fever.
Thanks for the post...it does put me at ease a little.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

When DS was a baby he had two or three ear infections and a couple sinus infections. Usually it started with decreased eating (bottles) and the increased respiratory rate. Once when he had a sinus infection, they did the RSV test and I was terrified as a coworkers grandson (no cf) had gotten it.

Usually the doctor would prescribe augmentin, but once I had one prescribe amoxicillian and it just didn't do the trick, so two weeks later we were back at the clinic.

BTW, the respiratory rates I posted were at rest -- I always count/check when DS is sleeping. It tends to be higher when awake, plus bronciodialators (albuterol) can cause an increase, too. But with DS, he was always in the normal range after doing his duoneb and cpt (bds).

Hopefully the doctors will be agressive and get to the bottom of this issue. Fortunately we have a very proactive CF physician.

Closed Thread