It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sprout07 HB User
I don't understand

Hello to all. I have a 14 month old girl who is the love of my life. She is doing very well, but we are experiencing problems with her gaining weight. She was small at birth-5lb 13oz. She is just now 18 pounds. Although slowly, she did consistently follow her curve for weight. She had a setback around Thanksgiving when she kept getting stomach bugs where she was vomitting and not eating, and thus lost a little weight. She is now on carnation instant breakfast and is gaining back. She is not a good eater...she does not like meat. She takes a few bites of whatever food we give her and then she is done. She does love fruit, cheese, yogurt and beans. And she is constantly moving. She goes #2 about once a day and it is not loose, often looks kind of putty-ish and smells like poo. SOrry to be graphic but I assume people who deal with CF poo are used to describing it. Her doctor has had her back for weight checks and it seems like she always gains just enough for him to say come back in 6 weeks and let's see where she is. He said if she showed a lack of weight gain he would order tests looking for things like celiacs. I asked about CF and he said the sweat test would be one of the tests that would be part of the work up but that the likelihood would be lower than other things. I just don't know what to think...Should I be scared?Should I believe that it is just a lack of calorie input issue, or should I be concerned about CF? It just bewilders me that there can be such a range of symptoms from loose fatty stools to constipation! I hate the fact that this is something that has haunted me since I was still pregnant and she was small for gestational age and here we are over a year later, and I'm still battling the scale with her! I wish I could take a few pounds off me and give them to her! Any thoughts and/or encouragement in the case of any outcome would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
(female)

Irishmom HB User
Re: I don't understand

Hi Sprout. sorry you're having such a worrying time. sods law your little monkey skids in at the finish line just in time to avoid the doc really feeling like (s)he has to further investigate. first of all if it is cf it's tough but manageable and there's lots in terms of treatment that is happening now so it's not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination. from my experience with cf, the two basic areas that cf affects are lungs and pancreas which would manifest in food input and output (!) and chest/colds etc. sometimes it's both, or sometimes it may just be one particular area that is affected. my daughter was diagnosed at 14mos because of recurrent chest infections but she was also up to about 6/7 bm's a day.very smelly and runny ones.personally, I'd ask for a sweat test and any other relevant ones you and or the doctor would recommend - just to put your mind at ease if nothing else. don't sit and wait for the next 6 week check up - just go and tell em what you want and at least you will then feel back in control. worry is terrible - you just go over and over things in your head til you're going to burst - it's classic analysis paralysis! so take a deep breath and go for it - it could be nothing at all and yet, if there is an underlying issue then you're better off knowing about it because then you can start to treat it. Good luck and let us know how you go!

Closed Thread