It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

bmckoneb HB User
Question new on here...

Hello, My name is Brandy. I have 4 beautiful children and a lovely husband. My 2 year old daughter has been throught allot in the last 2 years. She was diagnoses with Malrotation at 1 month. She has to have surgery. I was think she would get better while he has her good and bad days. We got to watch what she eats. Plus she is always has a runny nose. SO her GI doctors has schedule an Upper GI and a Emptying Scan. All the test cam back good. So she decides to do a Sweat Test on her. We did the Sweat Test Wed morning she called me Friday wanting my daughter to have a blood work done. DNA She had to get a DNA of Cystic Fibrosis. We did that this morning. I'm worried that she could have Cystic Fibrosis. I go see the GI doctor on April 8th. I want to know what's going on with my daughter. AND why she wanted the DNA done. Any Advice?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: new on here...

Cystic Fibrosis can also have a digestive component to it. My child was born with a bowel obstruction, include malrotation, and some other issues caused by meconium illeus. He's pancreatic insufficient, so he needs to take digestive enzymes to help digest his food -- otherwise he'd have very loose stools and would become malnourished, possibly get another obstruction. He also has more sinus issues.

Your child's sweat test levels must be elevated, therefor the reason for the genetic testing. Normal is 0-40, borderline 40-60, CF 60+. DS passed his sweat test with a normal 32; however, genetic tests showed he did have CF.

So your doctors are being proactive in trying to figure out what's wrong with your child. Hopefully they're doing an ampliefied genetic test -- regular tests only test the most common mutations and there are over 1500 cf mutations...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread