It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

mommyto3boys HB User
Question Could it go unnoticed for 10yrs???

My son will be 11 years old in August. He has been teeny since he was born. He is of average height, but very skinny. He was 8lbs when born, but then only gained 1lb a month after that. So, at 1 yr he was 20lbs, and so on. He has averaged 60lbs for the last couple years. He gets a little taller but no weight gain. He suffers from ADHD and OCD so I always thought that his medications were the cause for the weight (and they still could be). He also suffers from excess mucous. He is constantly snorting and spitting (yuck...) and colds go to his chest. I thought he had allergies. Well they just tested some vitamin levels and he is very deficient in his vitamins. Now, because it runs in the family, they are thinking he could have CF. My cousins daughter has it, but she was born several years after my son, so we never thought about him having. He didn't show the typical symptoms. I know that I am a carrier, but I don't know anything about his fathers med history. His doc ordered a blood test because the machine for the sweat test was broke. It will take up to two weeks to hear anything....Could it really be after all these years???

Worried mom....

Note: He has never had pnemonia, or bronchitis. Just common colds & allergies (so we thought).

Last edited by mommyto3boys; 05-11-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Could it go unnoticed for 10yrs???

Very strong possibility, especially with the family history. He seems to have a LOT of similar symptoms. Have they ever cultured his mucus to see if he's growing any common cf bugs such as pseudomonas?

I've heard of people being misdiagnosed with asthma, etc. and not diagnosed wcf until they're adults. Hopefully your doctor will be very proactive and try to get to the bottom of what's causing your son's issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

luckydraw HB User
Re: Could it go unnoticed for 10yrs???

Alot of the mucus in CF'r will also be thick mucous called Staff Aureous, which is what everyone normal grows, but for CF'r its thick everywhere, its not an infection, but its a way to see how CF (if it is CF) is affecting the child, my friend is 35 and just was diagnosed last year, mild symptoms can go unnoticed until they become worse, so if you think this is true, then you should pursue the answers, until you get what you want
Proud Mom of Triplets
Born October 10th 2010

Closed Thread