It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
(male)

saund10295 HB User
Does pneumonia = cf

My 3 1/2 y-o had pneumonia twice and our pulmonologist wants a sweat test. No other symptoms of cf. In her growth chart she's 78% in height and 66% in weight. CF doesn't run in our families. The hospital did comprehensive blood work and it was all normal. I am concerned because she has another hacking cough. Her skin is not salty. Is there even a remote possibility that she has cf?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Does pneumonia = cf

It's good that the doctor is pursuing this and trying to find out answers as to why your child is sick. DS has more digestive issues, absolutely NO family history and geneology records go back extensively on both sides of the samily. DS also had a normal sweat test. Being that there are over 1500 different mutations, it would be wise to pursue that avenue. Hopefully they'll be able to rule out CF based on those tests and see what else could be causing the pneumonia and cough.

Some CFers aren't diagnosed until adulthood, maybe misdiagnosed with other things such as irritable bowel, asthma, sinus problems....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
(male)

saund10295 HB User
Re: Does pneumonia = cf

We went for the test which produced an inadequate sample. When discussing the possibility of a re-test down the line the pulmonologist told me "she does not have CF." I would have liked to have heard that after the test ... but it looks as if we were needlessly sweating the sweat test.

Closed Thread