It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 66
Monnie45 HB User
Daughters chance of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

Hi, about twenty years ago, when my daughter was tested fo Cystic Fibrosis because of her small size. She was not quite 5 feet and weighted under 100 pounds and still is. She had her share of childhood diseases but nothing excessive. Well, the result for high normal. The pedriatrician at the time suggested it could mean she was a carrier but we have no Cystic Fibroisis in our family. Well, she is 32 years old now and pregnant, should we be concerned.

Marlene

 
Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
luckydraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 44
luckydraw HB User
Re: Daughters chane of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

I have CF, I am 25, and I just had triplets. None of them have CF, nor did they have the chance. If your daughter is a carrier, the best is to have her husband checked for the carrier gene. If only your daughter has it, then the baby wont even be a carrier, but if the husband is a carrier as well then the baby has a chance to either be a carrier or have CF, or be neither. Both parents have to have the carrier gene for the child to have a chance at CF. Hope this helped.
__________________
Regards,
Kerri
________________________________
Proud Mom of Triplets
Born October 10th 2010

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 66
Monnie45 HB User
Re: Daughters chane of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

Hi, I don't know that my daughter is a carrier, it was just a hunch that the doctor had when she was a child because the test for CF came back as high normal. Thanks.

 
Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,006
Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Daughters chane of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

Unless she's had genetic testing you really won't know for sure whether she's just a carrier or has cf.

 
Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 38
auntdew HB User
Re: Daughters chane of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydraw View Post
I have CF, I am 25, and I just had triplets. None of them have CF, nor did they have the chance. If your daughter is a carrier, the best is to have her husband checked for the carrier gene. If only your daughter has it, then the baby wont even be a carrier, but if the husband is a carrier as well then the baby has a chance to either be a carrier or have CF, or be neither. Both parents have to have the carrier gene for the child to have a chance at CF. Hope this helped.
If a carrier and a non-carrier have a child there is still a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier. It depends whether or not the carrier passes down their defective gene or their normal gene. The fact that their partner is a non-carrier just guarantees that the child will not have CF, as the CF gene is recessive, meaning they need to inherit the defective gene from both parents.

A close friend's sister had CF, and I have discussed with her the possibilities of her having a child with CF. She is not sure whether or not she is a carrier (unless she has been tested since I last spoke to her about it).

More stats, if both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance that the child will have CF, and a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier, and a 25% chance that the child will be a non-carrier.

 
Old 07-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 66
Monnie45 HB User
Re: Daughters chane of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdew View Post
If a carrier and a non-carrier have a child there is still a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier. It depends whether or not the carrier passes down their defective gene or their normal gene. The fact that their partner is a non-carrier just guarantees that the child will not have CF, as the CF gene is recessive, meaning they need to inherit the defective gene from both parents.

A close friend's sister had CF, and I have discussed with her the possibilities of her having a child with CF. She is not sure whether or not she is a carrier (unless she has been tested since I last spoke to her about it).

More stats, if both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance that the child will have CF, and a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier, and a 25% chance that the child will be a non-carrier.
High, QuickDraw, thanks for your reply. My daugher is almost 5 months pregnant and decided to get tested for Cystic Fibrosis. It was never confirmed that she was a carrier and she was not a carrier. Now, of course, we are hoping for a nice healthy baby.

Marlene

 
Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
luckydraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 44
luckydraw HB User
Re: Daughters chane of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdew View Post
If a carrier and a non-carrier have a child there is still a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier. It depends whether or not the carrier passes down their defective gene or their normal gene. The fact that their partner is a non-carrier just guarantees that the child will not have CF, as the CF gene is recessive, meaning they need to inherit the defective gene from both parents.

A close friend's sister had CF, and I have discussed with her the possibilities of her having a child with CF. She is not sure whether or not she is a carrier (unless she has been tested since I last spoke to her about it).

More stats, if both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance that the child will have CF, and a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier, and a 25% chance that the child will be a non-carrier.
I was incorrect in saying the gene would not get passed along if one of parents are carriers. Sorry about that. Your right in that nature.

Just to correct you, so the facts are right. If both parents are carriers, its a 50% chance the child will have CF. 25% carrier, and 25% non carrier, non anything. I just want to make this clear, I have researched it numerous times, and I live with it everyday of my life. Ive taken quite an interest in all of this. Both my parents are carriers, and I ended up with CF, and my sister is a carrier. Each time a child is born, and the parents are carriers its 50% chance. I have a family of 9 at my clinic with 7 boys, and 6 of them have CF. I am not sure if the 7th one is a carrier or not.
__________________
Regards,
Kerri
________________________________
Proud Mom of Triplets
Born October 10th 2010

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
I am 7 months pregnant and just found that my baby has over a 50% chance of having cf ariel17 Cystic Fibrosis 1 01-21-2010 01:55 PM
Please assure me that I don't have cystic fibrosis jumpinaround Cystic Fibrosis 2 12-07-2009 08:05 PM
hard to get ssi for kids with cystic fibrosis cfmom65 Cystic Fibrosis 3 05-14-2009 09:04 AM
Adult cystic fibrosis? benzos Cystic Fibrosis 6 08-15-2006 06:19 AM
does this sound like cystic fibrosis? g003 Cystic Fibrosis 5 08-24-2005 06:40 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Albuterol
Augmentin
Flonase
Pulmicort
Prednisone
  Tylenol Ultrase
Xopenex
Zantac
Zithromax




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Ratatosk (4), pinstripe1981 (1), vampalicious (1), Jess mom (1), LadyGreenSleeves (1), sherry092 (1), Titchou (1), luckydraw (1), Hope1986 (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (832), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!