It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cystic Fibrosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

Monnie45 HB User
Daughters chance of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

Hi, about twenty years ago, when my daughter was tested fo Cystic Fibrosis because of her small size. She was not quite 5 feet and weighted under 100 pounds and still is. She had her share of childhood diseases but nothing excessive. Well, the result for high normal. The pedriatrician at the time suggested it could mean she was a carrier but we have no Cystic Fibroisis in our family. Well, she is 32 years old now and pregnant, should we be concerned.

Marlene

Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

luckydraw HB User
Re: Daughters chane of having baby with Cystic Fibroisis

I have CF, I am 25, and I just had triplets. None of them have CF, nor did they have the chance. If your daughter is a carrier, the best is to have her husband checked for the carrier gene. If only your daughter has it, then the baby wont even be a carrier, but if the husband is a carrier as well then the baby has a chance to either be a carrier or have CF, or be neither. Both parents have to have the carrier gene for the child to have a chance at CF. Hope this helped.
Proud Mom of Triplets
Born October 10th 2010

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

Monnie45 HB User

Hi, I don't know that my daughter is a carrier, it was just a hunch that the doctor had when she was a child because the test for CF came back as high normal. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Unless she's had genetic testing you really won't know for sure whether she's just a carrier or has cf.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
(female)

auntdew HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydraw View Post
I have CF, I am 25, and I just had triplets. None of them have CF, nor did they have the chance. If your daughter is a carrier, the best is to have her husband checked for the carrier gene. If only your daughter has it, then the baby wont even be a carrier, but if the husband is a carrier as well then the baby has a chance to either be a carrier or have CF, or be neither. Both parents have to have the carrier gene for the child to have a chance at CF. Hope this helped.
If a carrier and a non-carrier have a child there is still a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier. It depends whether or not the carrier passes down their defective gene or their normal gene. The fact that their partner is a non-carrier just guarantees that the child will not have CF, as the CF gene is recessive, meaning they need to inherit the defective gene from both parents.

A close friend's sister had CF, and I have discussed with her the possibilities of her having a child with CF. She is not sure whether or not she is a carrier (unless she has been tested since I last spoke to her about it).

More stats, if both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance that the child will have CF, and a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier, and a 25% chance that the child will be a non-carrier.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
(female)

Monnie45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdew View Post
If a carrier and a non-carrier have a child there is still a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier. It depends whether or not the carrier passes down their defective gene or their normal gene. The fact that their partner is a non-carrier just guarantees that the child will not have CF, as the CF gene is recessive, meaning they need to inherit the defective gene from both parents.

A close friend's sister had CF, and I have discussed with her the possibilities of her having a child with CF. She is not sure whether or not she is a carrier (unless she has been tested since I last spoke to her about it).

More stats, if both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance that the child will have CF, and a 50% chance that the child will be a carrier, and a 25% chance that the child will be a non-carrier.
High, QuickDraw, thanks for your reply. My daugher is almost 5 months pregnant and decided to get tested for Cystic Fibrosis. It was never confirmed that she was a carrier and she was not a carrier. Now, of course, we are hoping for a nice healthy baby.

Marlene

Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
(female)

luckydraw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdew View Post

I was incorrect in saying the gene would not get passed along if one of parents are carriers. Sorry about that. Your right in that nature.

Just to correct you, so the facts are right. If both parents are carriers, its a 50% chance the child will have CF. 25% carrier, and 25% non carrier, non anything. I just want to make this clear, I have researched it numerous times, and I live with it everyday of my life. Ive taken quite an interest in all of this. Both my parents are carriers, and I ended up with CF, and my sister is a carrier. Each time a child is born, and the parents are carriers its 50% chance. I have a family of 9 at my clinic with 7 boys, and 6 of them have CF. I am not sure if the 7th one is a carrier or not.
Proud Mom of Triplets
Born October 10th 2010

Closed Thread